Cant Work Out What To Keep My Temprature At?

Dextersmummy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi. I have tropical fish for the first time and currently have my heater set at 24. I have guppies, mollies, gouramis, neon tetras, harlequin rasbora, zebra loaches and corys. all of which I think go from 22 ish to 26? well ive read so much ive confused myself tho went for 24 as its in the middle allowing for it to rise etc. do u think this is ok? thanks. x

A bit cool for neons maybe, but perfect for live bearers. My suggestion is to lift the temp to 25 or 26.

hi. I have tropical fish for the first time and currently have my heater set at 24. I have guppies, mollies, gouramis, neon tetras, harlequin rasbora, zebra loaches and corys. all of which I think go from 22 ish to 26? well ive read so much ive confused myself tho went for 24 as its in the middle allowing for it to rise etc. do u think this is ok? thanks. x
26-27 degrees is best for your fish

what does live bearers mean sorry to be thick x x

plus I have a condensation problem water running off the roof is this coz I have a heater?

Livebearers are a group of fish that give birth to live young, rather than lay eggs. The group includes Mollies, Swordtails,Platies, Guppies and some others. Maybe the condensation is because of a large difference in room temp. and tank temp.

26-27 degrees is best for your fish

27? :blink: the Cories and live bearers aren't going to enjoy that! If it was my tank then I would keep it at what its already at. 24 will be fine. If you're having problems with condensation then get a condensation tray or some glass sliders. It also stops evaporation too.

I would be looking at somewhere around 23-25C (preferebly on the low side if possible), I would not want to go warmer being Neon Tetra are generally replaced with Cardinal Tetra in high end tropical tanks, plus we need to know what Corydoras species you have (many common ones are sub-tropical or low end tropical, but there are the odd common species like C. sterbai that are said to need at least 24C).

sorry its a bronze cory does that sound right? goodness I didnt know that the mollies etc can have live babies. do they survive often? I mean if mine were to have them would I loose them to the filter intake and other fishes? :( I felt the water 24 seems cool to the touch tho they all seem active enough. I keep debating what to do I'm a nightmare lol.

I agree with your heat being fine where it's at now, for the fish that you have. Unless your tank is heavily planted, I doubt you'll even see the young before they get eaten by the other fishes. It happens in every tank with livebearers, nothing to get worked up about.

My tank's at 24, I could go cooler or one (maybe 1.5) degrees warmer but it's fine. :good: I keep the fish you see in my sig which include a blue Moscow Guppy, neon Tetras and peppered Cories.

24 is fine, I have all my tanks around there. Remember that all the time you are heating thr tank it is costing you in electricity so if your fish are fine then why have it any higher.

Sorry for the thread hijack but can I just ask, is condensation bad for a tank? I have plastic sheets I bought from my lfs on my 145L tank instead of a lid & I have quite a lot of condensation.
Thanks
Lee

If some of the fish are uncomfortable at temperatures that suit others, then maybe the fish shouldn't all be in the same tank at the same time?

Can't beat a bit of good old fashioned research. Loads of books out there with all this info in.

thanks all. I did notice when we were cooking the other day it went upto 25 so least then it gives it room to go up without getting to high I guess.

Most reactions

Back