Can't get tank hot enough to beat ich

Yes, I think I'm going to have to medicate. I haven't had to treat ich for a long time. Will the salt/meds hurt cories?
After a 6 day power outage due to Hurricane Laura, my tanks had no filtration (battery-powered bubblers only), and the temps in all tanks rose to that of the house with no A/C (around 85F).

The stress caused quite a few fish deaths, and a severe case of ich in my 40B.

I used Paraguard with great success, and it didn't harm my cories or snails...follow the directions precisely, full 2 week treatment.

Yes, I think I'm going to have to medicate. I haven't had to treat ich for a long time. Will the salt/meds hurt cories?
To be honest I would only choose a med (no combis). And get one that is safe for scaleless fish.

@DoubleDutch
I am a goldfish keeper, not really tropical fish. But I have ONE tropical fish and have dabbled in a few so I stay here. I have come to realize that things are done much differently with tropicals.

I quarantine newly acquired goldfish for a minimum of 30 days. If it is an Asian bought or imported goldfish - a minimum of 60 days as their diseases take longer to show themselves and sometimes are impossible to cure when introduced into a system. Ich or flukes from a Petco fish I can knock out no problem and symptoms show themselves quickly. Extremely salt and med resistant foreign strains of Costia or insanely antibiotic resistant mycobacteria - I cannot cure and you often have to mess with the fish by stressing it a little to see these diseases rear their heads. Learned that lesson early. We also use a microscope to check the slime coat and gills etc for parasites etc. I guess you can't do that with tiny tetras etc.

Seems most don't quarantine new tropicals, and ich is a widespread issue with tropical keepers.

After a 6 day power outage due to Hurricane Laura, my tanks had no filtration (battery-powered bubblers only), and the temps in all tanks rose to that of the house with no A/C (around 85F).

The stress caused quite a few fish deaths, and a severe case of ich in my 40B.

I used Paraguard with great success, and it didn't harm my cories or snails...follow the directions precisely, full 2 week treatment.
I also use paraguard for disease treatment and for quarantine in new fish, really great product 100% recommended

Last edited:
The issue is likely that you do not have enough heaters to maintain the higher temp. I am assuming you have 2 300 watt heaters for a total 600 watts of heating power. If they run continuously you need over 2 hours of heating time to raise the temperature from 28 degrees C to 30 degrees C, at the same time the air temperature in the house is likely 20 to 23 which will be continuously pulling heat from the aquarium, that rate will depend on the shape of the tank. @Colin_T suggestion to insulate the tank may be enough to get the temperature up high enough.

Couldn't you just add 1 more small heater to potentially get the temp to the magic spot of 85F? I mean, you're at 84F right now, correct?

Most reactions

Back