Can't get tank hot enough to beat ich

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad case of ich working its way through the 150 flooded forest, hitting the red phantoms especially hard. I set the heater controller to 89F, and the individual heaters (two big Fluvals) to 88, but the thing won't go over about 84, which doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Can't really go over there and add hot water everyday, even if that would work. Any ideas?

T

if your heaters reach 84 in 89 then just crank em up to 94 and they should reach 89, just keep a close eye in case it goes above 89

You could get a cheap heater on Amazon? I have a 200 watt MyLivell Aquarium Heater in my 55 gallon tank, and it gets the temp up to 86 on the highest setting. Maybe one of those (there are other watt options) could get the 150 up to temp? I believe they are only $17

insulate the tank.
Use 1 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets and tape them to the back and sides of the tank (on the outside of the glass).
Put a coverglass on the top of the tank if you don't have one.
Close the room up and maybe put a room heater in there if the insulation doesn't help.

I thought 82 was even enough to kill ich...

The heaters only go up to 88. :(
oh, that's bad :( I said it because mine does get up to 94, then keep them there and try a noninvasive external disease medicine, I use seachem paraguard since it doesn't affect my plants nor my beneficial bacteria and it is a general cure for all external diseases, (for internal I use other medicines). the only thing is that it can kill invertebrates so maybe it Is not an option if you have shrimps, snails, or crawfish.
but it has worked quite nicely for me so just keep your heaters at that max temp and add some paraguard, it should work.

I thought 82 was even enough to kill ich...
The water temperature has to be 30C (86F) or higher to kill the parasites. If the temperature is lower than this (say 82F), the parasites simply grow and reproduce faster and kill the fish sooner.

Have you a multi meter that has a Temp probe. That will give you the most exact Temperature of your tank. Then work out your heater/thermostat from there.

I'd use a med in this case.
I'm kind of in agreement. I had ich that was beating up a Walmart fish when I first started keeping fish. I used the salt and heat method and I couldn't get the tank warm enough either so I went the med route. The fish suffered for 2 weeks with heat etc and was cured in 2 or 3 days with the meds. I don't understand the aversion of ich meds when one has severe ich.

I'm kind of in agreement. I had ich that was beating up a Walmart fish when I first started keeping fish. I used the salt and heat method and I couldn't get the tank warm enough either so I went the med route. The fish suffered for 2 weeks with heat etc and was cured in 2 or 3 days with the meds. I don't understand the aversion of ich meds when one has severe ich.
What I think is so funny. No offense btw .
When we're talking about Ich going natural (heat-treatment) is the general idea / advise. When we're talking about a possible bacterial (or even fungal) infection often several antibiotics are put in without any doubt destroying the cycle and balance in a tank in an instant.

As said earlier the biggest risk in case of Ich is the human factor. Or we tend to use all treatments at the same time, or we only speed up the cycle cause the heat isn't high enough,
or we act to slow.

Ich in most cases (The Australian strain seems to be another issue) is a disease which is qyite easy to cure and fish don't need to die cause of it.

But the right action at the right time is crucial. So heattreatment okay, but not when the infection allready extreme or when fish can't stand the heat. No treatments together, always treat the main tank (not in an hospital tank which even some medbrands advise).
Aerate in all cases or at least keep an eye on fish getting oxygenissues.

DON'T PANICK !!!!

As said no offense and certainly not to Badger !!!!

Yes, I think I'm going to have to medicate. I haven't had to treat ich for a long time. Will the salt/meds hurt cories?

Most reactions

Back