Can't Get Panduros Past Wriggler Stage

Darkmoon Bettas

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got a young pair of Apistogramma panduro who I'm having trouble with. They spawn regularly--about once a week to two weeks--the eggs are fertile, they're tended properly, they hatch out, I see wrigglers, mom picks up the wrigglers to move them, and I never see them again. This has happened 5 times running now. Temp is about 76, Ph is 6.4, a/na/ni at 0. They're the only fish in their tank, with terracotta caves and lots of java moss and some driftwood. The tank (10g) is fairly established and should have lots of microscopic life in it.

Should I just chalk this up to young parents--I've only had them about 6 weeks, and they were barely sexually mature when I got them--or is something off with my water stats? Any thoughts/advice? I've bred African dwarfs before, but the panduros are my first attempt at new-world dwarf cichlids.

I know its frustrating but just give them some more time. They should get the hang of it soon. Also do your best not to disturb them. Disturbing them might result into them eating the brood.

Most cichlids it takes 3-4 times before they get it right. It took my cons 8 times before they figured it out. And that is saying somthing when most of the cons I had figured it out the first time. Maybe if you put 5 tetras in there they will protect them instead of eat them. Also be sure that your filter isnt sucking them up.

Most cichlids it takes 3-4 times before they get it right. It took my cons 8 times before they figured it out. And that is saying somthing when most of the cons I had figured it out the first time. Maybe if you put 5 tetras in there they will protect them instead of eat them. Also be sure that your filter isnt sucking them up.

I'm not sure if the parents are eating them, or they're just dying off. The filter is covered in a sponge prefilter, but the dithers are a good idea. Thanks.

To help limit commotion, which sometimes makes fish eat eggs wigglers & fry, cover the sides and a good portion of the front of the tank as well as the back. Black plastic garbage bags work great for this. If they can't see outside the tank whatever happens out there won't bother them. Dimmer lights help as well, I use styrene light diffuser panel to cover tanks that I'm working on breeding, and just let the room light illuminate the tank.

Most reactions

Back