Can't Decide What To Do

castiel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought this tank on eBay recently, a) because it was cheap, b.) because it was rimless and c) because it was about the size I was thinking of (ideal would be shallower, but it's close).

It is 100cmx40cmx40cm, or 36"x16"x16" for you Americans. About 40 gallons I think.

Zjcq2.jpg

dP83Q.jpg

5woYQ.jpg

GlDDz.jpg

It has a filter area built in, with drilled holes into the main area of the tank. Not sure what to make of the two low holes going in though? Would I hook a skimmer to one/both?

Anyway, the main annoyance is that it has lots of scratches, which I couldn't tell from the eBay pics. Mostly on the inside, and some fairly sizeable (definitely enough to catch a fingernail).

So now I have a quandry. Do I build this tank into my dream reef and hope the scratches don't show, buy kit to try and get rid of the scratches (thinking a dremel, polishing pad and cerium oxide), ditch the tank and buy a new one, or save this for a sump and buy a new one.

Also ... can remove the cross brace? It is very dirty underneath where this seals to the side bars, no idea how I would get in there to clean it. Plus I would prefer it to be gone aesthetically.

Scratches often hardly show when tanks are full of water, fill 'er up and see. I'd be wary of removing the top brace for fear of weakening the tank - it might NEED that brace!

Yeah I guess I'll clean it and fill it and see how it looks. Maybe I can clean beneath the brace, or if not perhaps remove it, clean, and re-stick.

(annoying I can't change the thread title - horror of horrors, a typo!)

That looks like a sump tank to me

Yeah I am thinking the same, particularly as I just tried filling with water and can still clearly see some of the scratches.

I am going to look into a custom built tank of the same length and width, but slightly shallower (1000x40x30 I think). And drilled, so I can easily use this as a sump.

And I shall edit your title for the typo. It's not a bad sump tank, though, may be useful in the future.

Potential plan for this tank (it would be the one on the bottom ... )

89B3C.jpg

Haha, a Peacock Mantis tank would be interesting that's for sure.

Almost certain I will use this as a sump ... though I am having trouble figuring out how I would use it in its current format. I would like the huge main area to be a refugium, but need to work out where the skimmer and return pump would fit in and how I would circulate the water around the 'fuge.

Need to start visualising it with equipment and pipes I think.

I may also have found a suitable main tank ... will know when the eBay auction ends =0)

You could always baffle off another section for the skimmer. you might also be able to use egg crate to lift it up high enough above the sand bed in the refugium.

Most reactions

Back