Can't Decide What To Add

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yep I had two firemouths originally, bought at the same time, loved each other and then there was a horrible accident, all my own fault, one decided to investigate the python (vaccum) one cleaning day and I didnt notice until he was squashed up inside :byebye: and the other hasnt been the same since, quite a feisty little chap, who chases everyone and anything, does no harm but is a bully.

Jurupari, I think, like to be in groups too, but may well hang around with the pearl. Never had a uaru or festivum, festiv's are suppose to be quite aggressive arent they?

Blue acara, definatley :good:

No I think Festivums are somewhere in between Angels and Sevs in temperment and dont get very big (only about 5-6")

I think your right about Juruparis...I think the are one of the shoaling variety much like Threadfins and some others plus they only get to about (5") from what I have read so I could get a couple.

You shoudl add another FM they are such a cool fish....all bark and no bite! thye are sort of the same temperment as a convict...but convicts do bite! lol

I'm definitley interested in Blue Acaras, I have been toying with the idea for a while now...are they aggressive? how big do they get?

What I love about Geos is they just keep themselves to thereselves and are great for cichlid communitys :) thats why I'm interested in getting some more.

Yeah will probably add another, I was putting it off because of my aureus, who he took a distinct dislike to (relative species problem I think) and then they went for him big style when they spawned, now they are out in their own tank, one more might be ok, or he could decide he doesnt like that either, his other big hate is the nic's, makes me laugh when he flares at my large sev, who just gives him this look and he swims away as fast as he can :)

Acaras reach around 6-8" I think, been a while since I had mine, relatively peaceful (in comparison to some cichlids), Mark has one who had an issue with his spirulus but was nothing too nasty.

Haha mine do exactly that to my Sevs :)

Would a Blue Acara be to robust for my Angels? They hold there own with the Sevs and Geos and Fms (and with the 6" nasty male convict I used to have)

uaru i beleive will get quite big and youve already got 2 big sevs in there , jurpari i agree i think would be better in a group

blue acara would be my choice. ime mildy territorial/aggro at times but generally pretty well behaved.

would also be good choice size-wise. 8" is possible but very unlikely in aqauaria with 6 being more common .

From your list above I would probably go for a Festivum tbh, they are very graceful fish similar to Angels and unlike a lot of other Cichlids spend a lot of time in the upper quarters of the tank, As said they get to around 6-8".

A also think a couple of cats would look great in that tank, something like Hoplos that are very active and have great characters

I think the Uaru would not be happy in my tank so i'll give that a miss.

Still undecided between Blue Acara,Jurupari and Festivum or just to go with Clowns.

I get freaked out bycatfish other than Plecs and Corys so don't really want to add them.

I think I could do this...

Blue Acara + 2 Clown Loaches and get rid of my gourami

Or

3 clown Loaches

Or

Festivum + 2 Juruparis and a shoal of Corys.

Wouldnt the Corys get bullied by the bottom dwelling Cichlids and my huge plec? (firemouths,Geophagus's)

Orrrrrrrrrr (new plan lol)

get a Red Spotted Sev to go with my Gold and Green :eek: ..... :)

After seeing Minxys tank I'm thinking about adding some 4-5 bosemani rainbow fish,2 x Clown Loaches and a female nicaraguensis Cichlid to finish my stocking and may get rid of my Black Widows.

May have to get rid of my gourami to...but may get away with it because my 2 large established external filters mean i can slightly overstock.

How would the Nicaguensis get on with Angels,Severums,Firemouths and Geos?

Gahhh wish my tank was a little bit bigger now so i could get the Blue Acara,Festivum and some Juruparis to lol!

So my final stocking would be

2 x Angels
2 x Severum
2 x Firemouth
1 x Threadfin Acara
1 x Pearl Geophagus
1 x Blue Gourami
1 x Sail Fin Plec
1 x Nicaguensis
4 x bosemani Rainbows
2 x Clown Loach

Id say 6 minimum on the rainbows, but you have the room and maybe a couple more clown loaches. Otherwise sounds good to me :)

Thanks for the info Minx...will get some of them next week depending on prices.

You can expect to pay from £3.95 - £5.95 per boesemani, depending on quality and area you live. Least that appears to be the case around my area. Whereabouts are you btw?

The nic's, hard to find, mine cost me £17 for the two!!

I keep seeing Nics but they are always dull...dont know if they if they are hybrids or something...or just bad stock.

I'm in Somerset,got quite a big Maidenhead here,really good for Cichlids.

Just been to Maidenhead and picked up the last 3 Bosemani Rainbows they had for £13 for all 3...bargain :)

Also got a very healthy breeding pair of Kribensis for £7

I looked at the nics,they were tiny and washed out looking so i gave them a miss....espech at £10 each for 1" washed out fish! lol

Still not found any decent Clown Loaches (size to price) I'm going to get 2 or 3...or maybe 2 Clown loaches and either a Ruby Shark or a shoal of Corys.

They had tons of Blue Acaras in there but i didnt think they looked to nice.

I'm going to get a few more Rainbows when they get some in next...prob going to get some reds to.

They had some banded severums also for £4 each...was really tempted but not got the space now.

Most reactions

Back