Cant Decide On How Many Platys

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
hi will be gettin a 50gal, in a couple of days.
i know that i want lots of platys in there but not sure on how many, i was thinking to start off with 6 females and 3 males is this ok or should i start with more/less.
it will be planted with some real and some silk plants.
and there will be 1 pleco and 3 albino and 3 panda corys going in :)

that should be fine, just make sure you get them all the same colour a nice group of pletys the same colour looks great.

lol i was hoping to get all different colours like tuxedo, painted,wag,calico, sunburst i havnt decide on which ones but i think they will look cool mixed :nod:

i prefer them all the same, but i guess everyone has their own opinions :D

try having 2 of the same colurs, that would look nice and I have been told that the nicer colour the males are the nicer the babies will be. i dunno if thats true though.

Ask yourself this: do you want fry that are a specific variety ("pedigree") or a bit of this, bit of that ("moggie"). If you want to breed fish you can sell easily, you want to do the former. Fish shops don't really want mongrel platies or any other kind of fancy fish.

One of the best kept secrets in fishkeeping is that 10 of one fish looks ten times better than 10 different fishes. Look at a tank with 6 wild-type angels or 20 neons and you'll see what I mean. Large numbers of similar fish that school together look amazing. Individual fishes that all have clashing, contrasting colours tend to look like a jumble.

In a 50 gallon tank you could get, say, ten platies of a single variety, and then mix them with different species of fish so that any platy fry you got would be same variety as the parents. Ideally choose fish from different general (i.e., not swordtails or other Xiphophorus spp.). Sunset platies with black mollies, glassfish, wrestling halfbeaks, orange chromides, and bumblebee gobies for example would give a nice mix of fishes of totally different shapes and colours and swimming levels. They'd all do well in hard, alkaline water with a little salt added for the benefit of the mollies, chromides, and gobies. You'd have a variety of temperaments as well, from the smart, territorial chromides at the bottom to the active platies in midwater and the aggressive, fighting halfbeaks at the top. Apart for the chromides, where a pair would be ideal, the other fish would be good in groups of half a dozen or more.

Cheers,

Neale

Most reactions

Back