Canister filter tubing dirty

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, been running my canister for a couple months now but am yet to do actual clean of any kind yet. I’m going to take it apart and give it its first rinse tomorrow but have noticed the tubing is covered in what I assume is algae. Was originally bright green and now covered in brown. Do I need to clean this as well and if so, what is the best way to go about it?

Attachments

• CFE47C28-88CB-4CD6-B3D6-DCACB1BF7EE5.jpeg
    CFE47C28-88CB-4CD6-B3D6-DCACB1BF7EE5.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 54
What you want is one of these.....great fun to use, will have you in hysterics but they do work quite nicely

Mind how you pull the brush back out cos it will ping poo at you ;)

I bought one of these....and it attacked me with poo when I pulled the brush out of the hose :lol:

Full PPE including full face mask required :lol:

As the others above have stated, you need a brush of some sort. I attached a small/medium brush to a stick (you might use a 3' dowel - in my case, I repurposed a driveway marker). The process is easiest done outside with a garden hose...you can do it inside but requires greater care not to spew crud here, there, and everywhere! And like others have mentioned, caution retrieving the brush lest you spray yourself with the badness! :)

My canisters filter hoses have looked like the one in the picture for years. I know this doesn't help your question but other than just looking nasty, does not affect anything and just think, water running through the algae is getting conditioned... no?

My canisters filter hoses have looked like the one in the picture for years. I know this doesn't help your question but other than just looking nasty, does not affect anything and just think, water running through the algae is getting conditioned... no?
Buildup on the inner walls of the hosing restricts flow.

The output from my canister filter into my tank is noticeably better after the hoses have been cleaned.

It is gunk, not algae, that causes the buildup....

Buildup on the inner walls of the hosing restricts flow.

The output from my canister filter into my tank is noticeably better after the hoses have been cleaned.

It is gunk, not algae, that causes the buildup....
I'm thinking to restrict flow, the buildup would have to be pretty thick and not see through it. Never gave it a thought since I never had issues with flow, but I might get to it just to see if the flow does improve.

Indeed, it would have to be pretty thick to significantly restrict the flow ... and another thing to point out that IS truly significant is the fact that when the hoses on my canister get cleaned, so does the rest of the canister filter, as well...sponge, ceramic media...which obviously will improve flow

The point is, IMO, to properly clean a canister filter (I have a Eheim Classic 2215), it has to be taken completely apart anyway, so why not give the hoses the plunger treatment while you have easy access? I just lay mine out in a sink, run hot tap water from one end to the other, and give it a good brush-plunge, with a flexible tool like in the links above...same with plastic spraybars, u-tube, etc, on the canister filter, which sometimes are actually smaller in diameter than the hoses, and will clog quicker

If yours have never been done, it will be quite the eye-opener the first time you do it...I know mine was...it's more gunk than you think, or see ;)

Well so, I decided to get new hoses for my two old Fluval 203 filters which were around two decades old and dirty, Home Depot or Lowes here in the states have different sizes and I decided to buy a few feet a bit oversized in diameter but no issues with fit. The flow has increased I would say about 30-40% with the slightly oversized and clean hoses. Huge improvement!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back