Can You Recommend A Good Black Gravel ?

griffgrogg

Reaction score
Hi

Im going to be setting up a new tank soon, Ive got a plain black background and want to use low light plants to be planted in the substrate. Can anyone recommend and suggest where I can get black gravel online......and a suitable fertiliser to mix with it for the plants ?

thanks, Terri

On recommendation from George (gf225) - API First Layer laterite topped up with Dennerle Black Quartz (scroll down right to the bottom -) - hope that's OK what I'm quoting (and that I got it right !) -_-

Edit: oh it doesn't copy the direct link for the black quartz - you have to click on "products" and then "substrate" and then scroll all the way down.
If you want to know what it looks like, check out George's tank :)

Hi

Im going to be setting up a new tank soon, Ive got a plain black background and want to use low light plants to be planted in the substrate. Can anyone recommend and suggest where I can get black gravel online......and a suitable fertiliser to mix with it for the plants ?

thanks, Terri

Your best options regarding gravel is either Hagen Black Coal or Tahitan Moon Sand

There are so many options regarding substrate fertilisers so you have oceans of choice.

Hagens' marina range do a nice black gravel
http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cf...=01124700030101
even though their website only has 2kg bags listed I know for a fact it is available in 10kg bags too.
Not sure I (personally) like the idea of "plastic coated" gravel -_-

That looks like it is other stuff, the hagen gravel is called Black Coal Aquarium Substrate, I used Mixed earth tones gravel on my tank which I got from my LFS, I've found it to be the best, I think this is because its light and the colour of it is just really good too, it looks great just on its own. I'd get this stuff in the future if I had to but I'm going to be using the ADA substrates now.

Well I received my Dennerle black quartz (all 25kg of it!) yesterday (2-3mm) and it look lovely ! It's going into my tank on Saturday when doing a big overhaul :D

Well I received my Dennerle black quartz (all 25kg of it!) yesterday (2-3mm) and it look lovely ! It's going into my tank on Saturday when doing a big overhaul :D

that's your weekend sorted then mate, good luck with the rebuild.... ;)
cry.gif
tell me about it ! Heater cable, laterite, the lot. I'll be snapping away (photos) though and update my journal (over in the planted section) by the end of the weekend. It just better look nice ! I've never had any black substrate before :unsure: and though it looks stunning in other tanks, I just hope the "real thing" looks as good in my own tank !

Most reactions

Back