Can You Keep Betta And Small Goldfish Together?

It's not so much bright colour as long flowing fins. Which is why male guppies are not reccomended. Bettas are an agressive species by nature so there are quite a lot of even plain fish you shouldn't keep with them.

It also depends on where you got the betta too I think. As discussed in another thread, I think store bought fish who are used to seeing and being with other species stand a better chance of being able to be kept with a variety of tankmates than breeder bought or cup stored fish who see either other males only and flare at them all day, or nothing but the inside of a cup.

Getting lucky with your particular fish doesn't man the species as a whole is fine with bright colours or long fins in tankmates.

Lol Volleyball_rox, I just realized. Why would you say "Help!" at the end of your sentence if you wouldn't put them together, etc? Or would you explode from curiousity? Haha :)
LoL I put Help because online there were too many mixed answers and my bro is buying a goldfish for his friend to take back to college and I dont want a goldfish, I want a platy, but I was curious if they are compatable.

As I said in your other thread - goldies are coldwater and if you put them in warmer water, their metabolisms will speed p and so will make even MORE poo than normal. Trust me, I have fancy goldfish and they do not stay small - my black moor was 1 inch last march and he is now 7inches :blink: they need A LOT of space - 5 gallons is not enough and the fish wouldn't grow properly.

Goldfish can also be quite temperamental, and might try and chase a betta

As I said in your other thread - goldies are coldwater and if you put them in warmer water, their metabolisms will speed p and so will make even MORE poo than normal. Trust me, I have fancy goldfish and they do not stay small - my black moor was 1 inch last march and he is now 7inches :blink: they need A LOT of space - 5 gallons is not enough and the fish wouldn't grow properly.

Goldfish can also be quite temperamental, and might try and chase a betta
Thanks for the advice, I ended up getting an orange one inch platy, and they are quite compatable, so far. :nod:

Dont saying that it should be done or whatever. I would not do it.

However, One person at college did have goldfish and a red fighter in the same tank.

Please I am not saying that it should be done. Im just sayng that I have seen them in the same tank.

I do not know however they ended-up but I do now that they where in there for 6 months together, while at college.

Don't think you should worry anymore, she's gotten herself a platy and was just curious about the thought of a goldish and betta together :)
Watch the platy. I had one with a female betta and they seemed fine for a number of days and then one morning, I woke up to find a big chunk of the betta's fin missing! I took the platy back and the fin on my betta healed up just fine.

Most reactions

Back