Can you help me sex my livebearers?

Harachel Fish

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the fish hobby. Been wanting to get a tank of Endler's Live Bearers. We went to the pet store and wanted to buy 1 male and 5 female. The pet store person said he found 5 females for us. He said that all females don't have color in their tails. Now I have them in a quarantine tank and I think we may only have 1 female. I think all but one have gonopodium. Could you tell me if you see any other females in the tank?
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2375.JPG

Video of Endler's

Last edited:
I only see a single female.
Also, you will end up with many fry when you mix males and females. I made the mistake of letting the people at the pet store decide if my 2 guppy were females. And now my 1 female drops 50+ fry every 29 days because they gave me 1 juvenile male and 1 female. Even after separating them she will continue to produce fry for more than 6 months.

Female endlers are typically quite plain. The Gonopodium will not be developed in juveniles. You may be able to see the gravid spot earlier in females but this is not guaranteed.

Thanks everybody. I think you are right and we only have one female. We kept the female and returned the males to the store. Unfortunately we could not find any store with female endler's so she will have to be by herself for a little.

Just ordered some new females online so hopefully she will some girl companions in a few weeks. :)

Thanks for all the help.

In picture 1, the most left one is female and the rest are definitely males.... The males probably didn't have any color (or hardly) at that time. The person who helped you made a mistake with that.

That is not true, they don't even look the same.
I sex my fry at around day 3.
Why is my remark not true? For a male that hasn't developed his gonopodium yet, still shows a V-shaped anal fin. But it gets pointier when it starts the anal fin transition.
And also I do sex guppies pretty early... ;)
And I keep myself busy with guppies and other livebearers ever since the 1970's.

Why is my remark not true? For a male that hasn't developed his gonopodium yet, still shows a V-shaped anal fin. But it gets pointier when it starts the anal fin transition.
And also I do sex guppies pretty early... ;)
And I keep myself busy with guppies and other livebearers ever since the 1970's.
Because I show a picture of how the body and everything looks from a male vs female...
The gonopodium is only part of it, however even that is different already from the beginning.

Because I show a picture of how the body and everything looks from a male vs female...
The gonopodium is only part of it, however even that is different already from the beginning.
Thanks for the feedback.
I was referring in my first reply once the gonopodium is set, it looks like the picture shown.

And concerning the sexing method:
If your method works, it works :good:. Just like mine works for me for over 45 years :).
Everybodybody's got his/her own way in it.

Thanks for the feedback.
I was referring in my first reply once the gonopodium is set, it looks like the picture shown.

And concerning the sexing method:
If your method works, it works :good:. Just like mine works for me for over 45 years :).
Everybodybody's got his/her own way in it.
the gonopodium of a male would be triangle at the beginning while a female would have a slight rounding in it.
That are the signs you will see at day 1, but easier a couple days later...
Hence why I know I got virgin females.

the gonopodium of a male would be triangle at the beginning while a female would have a slight rounding in it.
That are the signs you will see at day 1, but easier a couple days later...
Hence why I know I got virgin females.
I know what you mean but wether the anal fin is pointy edged or rounded edged, it's still V-shape before any anal fin transition takes place. But I'm aware of what you mean by the the tip of the anal fin. Like I'd already mentioned, I'm keeping, breeding and sexing guppies for over 4 decades.
And I do hope that you are also aware that not all ovoviviparous livebearer females and young males have a V-shaped anal fin. I'm not referring to viviparous livebearers such as goodeids or halfbeaks for instance. For those have a complete other shaped anal fin.
But thank you for the feedback... Always nice to chit chat about it.

Most reactions

Back