Can You Have Too Much Filtration?

Conrad283

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm going to throw it out here anyway.

I've got a 15 gallon tank with a aquaclear 20 gallon filter. I've got 13 fish in there already (6 x pristilla tetra's, 1 x male betta, 2 x black mollies, and 4 x peppered cory catfish).

According to the aq advisor tool, I am under filtering my aquarium. My current filtration is 65%. I was going to add another aquaclear 20 gallon filter and that boosts my filtration to 131%. Now, petsmart has the aquaclear 30 for the same price as the aquaclear 20 at petco. I don't have time to order the 20 from the internet because I am going on vacation next Tuesday and I want to try and have everything squared away.

With the aquaclear 30, my filtration goes to 164% (again, per the aq advisor tool). So my question is: is there such a thing as TOO much filtration? The only thing I can think of is that the 30 would be too powerful in regards to the "waterfall" from the filter into the tank.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

You can never have too much filtration, too much flow for the fish for ones like Discus but not for most fish.

Agreed, usually there isn't enough flow in aquariums. I either run multiple filters and a powerhead, or a single filter and a couple of powerheads. So I would add the aquaclear 30, you can always adjust the flow from the filters, if you find it to be a little too much.

I have to agree with Ps3Steveo, there is no such thing as over filtering your tanks. Excessive, but some have dirty eaters and would like a cleaner crisper tank. I have been a fan of the Marineland 350s they come with a bio wheel to hold some bacteria and all your doing by amping your filter is adding more oxygen to the area for nitrifying bacteria, which keeps your aquarium levels of harmful ammonia and nitrites down. 350s offer 350 gph cycling in ideal conditions. They do make smaller versions like the 150. It sells for around 20 or 30 dollars and it would be a good investment in my opinion.

The AQ advisor told me I was filtering 1000%. :crazy: So I was trying to find out how many gallons/hour per gallon of tank there should be with no luck. I guess my water pump goes at 138 gallon per hour though, recommended by my "trusty" LFS. It can be a real hassle for slower moving fish, or fish that like to be up at the top of the tank more have to break their backs to swim around in the current (I assume its doing very well for oxygenating the tank).

That site cant really be used too well. The best way is to find out your filter's flowrate WITH MEDIA ( most companies advertise with empty filters, I know Eheim advertises with full media ) and then do the calculations from there

Most reactions

Back