Can You Breed In Plastic Tanks?

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can you succesfully breed tropical fish in plastic tanks?

you mean the small 3 and 5 gallon ones they sell? With like the colored lid and they come in the weird ploygon shapes?

I would assume you could breed bettas in a tank like that... but they are kind of small for most other fish. Maybe some guppies, but I would even keep them in something that small. smallest I would go for is 10G for guppies

Ox :good:

I would assume it would be fine as long as the tank is the proper size for the fish. I mean, we use a acrylic, and that is a polymer... ie basically plasitic.

Ox :good:

thanks, yeah its not acrylic but should be fine, i presume the heater will be fine with suction cups or should i place it on a ceramic tile or slate at the bottom of the tank?

my daughter has a heater on her "dora the explorer tank" with 2 platys in it and the heater is fine with the plastic :) been in there about 3 months the only thing i should say is that the style of the tank with lots of slats in the top causes one heck of a lot of water loss due to evaporation therfore need topping up about every 3 days :)and yes its suctioned to the tank with no problems

thanks for the info, the only thing i worry about is that with non-acrylic plastic, as it isn't see through, identifying disease or stress is going to be much harder, i guess i could run a couple of 20 litre hospital tanks and transfer for closer inspection.

Most reactions

Back