Can They All Fit?

Man, ive been keeping fish for a few years now and still wouldnt keep discus! Have a read about them somewhere! The fact that this woman sold you these fish is a joke. Not your fault buddy, after all she is the one that's supposed to know. Take them all back to the store & get your money back, and put it towards your new bigger tank! You can always buy more again when you have the bigger tank! If i were you, i would stick to guppys or neons now, This is what i started with and are good to help you get the hang of the hobby! :thumbs:

Man, ive been keeping fish for a few years now and still wouldnt keep discus! Have a read about them somewhere! The fact that this woman sold you these fish is a joke. Not your fault buddy, after all she is the one that's supposed to know. Take them all back to the store & get your money back, and put it towards your new bigger tank! You can always buy more again when you have the bigger tank! If i were you, i would stick to guppys or neons now, This is what i started with and are good to help you get the hang of the hobby! :thumbs:

Mind you, neither guppies or neons are hardy enough to cycle a tank these days.

Somebody else suggested rosy barbs- too big for a 15 US gallon (12 imperial gal) tank. My neighbour's rosies are easily 5" long and v. active- they need lots of space.

Please, let's think about the actual tank situation before we just toss out suggestions of fish.

Fishdisease, you need to take those fish back to the shop. She has mis-sold you those fish, point it out pleasantly but firmly quoting adult size of the fish, and you should get a refund.

Then you need to read up the pinned topics about cycling a tank and think about whether you are going to start again with a fishless cycle or cycle with fish. If the latter, you will be limited to a few hardy kinds: danios, platies or black widow tetras are the ones usually recommended; given that your tank is not very long, I would suggest one of the latter (though the fishless cycle is better!).

Basically, your tank is suitable for keeping about 7-8 fish with an adult size of not more than 2", or 4-5 3" fish. We are talking tetras, platies, guppies (if doing fishless cycle or introducing after cycle), corydoras- plenty to choose from but check how big they grow. Also remember that many fish need to be kept in schools, this you need to respect. So if you are getting tetras you need 5-6 of them, corys probably 3-4. A schooling fish kept on its own will suffer permanent stress that may damage its health. So this obviously affects what you can fit in. You should avoid the fast swimmers, like swordtails and danios- they need a longer tank.

Somebody else suggested rosy barbs- too big for a 15 US gallon (12 imperial gal) tank. My neighbour's rosies are easily 5" long and v. active- they need lots of space.

Please, let's think about the actual tank situation before we just toss out suggestions of fish.

Fishdisease, you need to take those fish back to the shop. She has mis-sold you those fish, point it out pleasantly but firmly quoting adult size of the fish, and you should get a refund.

Then you need to read up the pinned topics about cycling a tank and think about whether you are going to start again with a fishless cycle or cycle with fish. If the latter, you will be limited to a few hardy kinds: danios, platies or black widow tetras are the ones usually recommended; given that your tank is not very long, I would suggest one of the latter (though the fishless cycle is better!).

Basically, your tank is suitable for keeping about 7-8 fish with an adult size of not more than 2", or 4-5 3" fish. We are talking tetras, platies, guppies (if doing fishless cycle or introducing after cycle), corydoras- plenty to choose from but check how big they grow. Also remember that many fish need to be kept in schools, this you need to respect. So if you are getting tetras you need 5-6 of them, corys probably 3-4. A schooling fish kept on its own will suffer permanent stress that may damage its health. So this obviously affects what you can fit in. You should avoid the fast swimmers, like swordtails and danios- they need a longer tank.
Man, cant believe you wrote that.. ok ok, perhaps i didnt make it crystal! I suggested taking those fish that he has now back to the shop & relpacing them with neons or guppys! Give the fella plenty of time when hes looking after all those little fellas to make his mind up about other fish & bigger tanks not to mention learning the basics of fish care, cycling etc...

"Please, let's think about the actual tank situation before we just toss out suggestions of fish" - PURLEEZE!!!! :rolleyes:

Man, cant believe you wrote that.. ok ok, perhaps i didnt make it crystal! I suggested taking those fish that he has now back to the shop & relpacing them with neons or guppys! Give the fella plenty of time when hes looking after all those little fellas to make his mind up about other fish & bigger tanks not to mention learning the basics of fish care, cycling etc...

"Please, let's think about the actual tank situation before we just toss out suggestions of fish" - PURLEEZE!!!! :rolleyes:

Yes, what' wrong with that? The guy as I understand it has a cycling tank. If he takes the present fish back to the shop this will not automatically mean the cycle is finished. Due to inbreeding and mass production, neither neons or guppies are currently strong enough to be risked in cycling his tank. He will therefore need either to cycle the tank with some hardier fish or perform a fishless cycle. Any problems with that statement?

When I first started keeping fish (and we are talking a long time ago), guppies and neons were both a lot hardier than they are now, and putting them in a new tank would have been perfectly acceptable practice. Times have changed, not necessarily for the better, and I think advice given needs to be adapted to the realities of today.

Yes, what' wrong with that? The guy as I understand it has a cycling tank. If he takes the present fish back to the shop this will not automatically mean the cycle is finished. Due to inbreeding and mass production, neither neons or guppies are currently strong enough to be risked in cycling his tank. He will therefore need either to cycle the tank with some hardier fish or perform a fishless cycle. Any problems with that statement?

When I first started keeping fish (and we are talking a long time ago), guppies and neons were both a lot hardier than they are now, and putting them in a new tank would have been perfectly acceptable practice. Times have changed, not necessarily for the better, and I think advice given needs to be adapted to the realities of today.
OK, DOUBLE CRYSTAL CLEAR... When he takes the fish back to the shop, he should get neons etc.. im assuming that from what he has written about "learning his lesson" when his first couple of "batches" of fish died, that his tank is now cycled... Now, where were we... :X

It just seems as if you were treating me like i knew nothing and was dishing out the worst bit of advice you ever heard.

Perhaps if you read each post from the start you would get the FULL picture? Now, lets not fall out - friends???

OK, DOUBLE CRYSTAL CLEAR... When he takes the fish back to the shop, he should get neons etc.. im assuming that from what he has written about "learning his lesson" when his first couple of "batches" of fish died, that his tank is now cycled... Now, where were we... :X

It just seems as if you were treating me like i knew nothing and was dishing out the worst bit of advice you ever heard.

Perhaps if you read each post from the start you would get the FULL picture? Now, lets not fall out - friends???

My point is that if fish have died the tank may have uncycled in the meantime and be going through multiple new minicycles. A tank does not stay cycled unless fish are permanently alive in it. This information has not been provided, so I think we would be unwise to assume that the tank is still cycled and not going through a new cycle.

I can assure you that I have read all your posts in full, and think it is perfectly acceptable to point out possible flaws in an argument without falling out.

My point is that if fish have died the tank may have uncycled in the meantime and be going through multiple new minicycles. A tank does not stay cycled unless fish are permanently alive in it. This information has not been provided, so I think we would be unwise to assume that the tank is still cycled and not going through a new cycle.

I can assure you that I have read all your posts in full, and think it is perfectly acceptable to point out possible flaws in an argument without falling out.
The OPERATIVE would is MAY... You as readily would almost start an argument with me over something with which there is really no hard evidence... Perhaps instead of having a pop at my suggestions, you SHOULD have asked the fella if his tank had been operational and wether or not it was cycled. I am also aware that a tank does not stay cycled. Like i hinted at... I dont know EVERYTHING, but please dont insult my intelligence :X

Do you not think you should have established wether the tank was cycled? It sounded to me as though it was...

The OPERATIVE would is MAY... You as readily would almost start an argument with me over something with which there is really no hard evidence... Perhaps instead of having a pop at my suggestions, you SHOULD have asked the fella if his tank had been operational and wether or not it was cycled. I am also aware that a tank does not stay cycled. Like i hinted at... I dont know EVERYTHING, but please dont insult my intelligence :X

Do you not think you should have established wether the tank was cycled? It sounded to me as though it was...
[/quote]

I am not trying to argue just to upset you, but neither do I want to suggest fish that may be unsuitable when we have no hard evidence either way. If you look back I think you will find that I have tried to state the reasons for my thinking all along, and that you are the one who is using an emotional and
argumentative approach.

Is it really an insult to your intelligence just that somebody voices a different opinion to yours? I don't usually get insulted just because people disagree with me; I find the challenge to my intelligence lies precisely in trying to motivate my own reasoning; if I cannot do that, then obviously the other person wins the argument. I always assume that people cannot know the extent of either my intelligence or my experience except from the reasoning I am able to lay before them.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, fishdisease! How is the tank going.

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ POST RE: Jan 18 2006, 10:17 PM.

You posted after me saying that you wouldnt use neons to cycle a tank? Who asked anything about that? Had you already read the above listed post i can assume, as you seem of reasonable intelligence to me that you would think that the fellas tank was cycled? What would make you think from reading that, that it wasn't? I list the above post in my case as to why i think the tank had cycled.

And hijack you did - disrespecting my information & offering information that was possibly not necessary at all.

You picked up WRONG on my information and instead offered your own as if you were some how more worthy to offer it, when it was MORE THAN LIKELY NOT NEEDED.

Lets face it, neither of us knows the condition of his tank, so in future dont brush aside my views until you are sure of the postion. Instead of being ignorant, channel your energy into finding out the specifics.

By the way, your last piece was total twaddle. Winning an arguement? :rolleyes:

You posted after me saying that you wouldnt use neons to cycle a tank? Who asked anything about that? Had you already read the above listed post i can assume, as you seem of reasonable intelligence to me that you would think that the fellas tank was cycled? What would make you think from reading that, that it wasn't? I list the above post in my case as to why i think the tank had cycled.

And hijack you did - disrespecting my information & offering information that was possibly not necessary at all.

You picked up WRONG on my information and instead offered your own as if you were some how more worthy to offer it, when it was MORE THAN LIKELY NOT NEEDED.

Lets face it, neither of us knows the condition of his tank, so in future dont brush aside my views until you are sure of the postion. Instead of being ignorant, channel your energy into finding out the specifics.

I think we'd better leave it here. As I understand the workings of this forum everyone is considered worthy to offer their opinion, even if someone else has already offered theirs, this is what a discussion forum is about. This should not be taken as offensive or disrespectful, it is how the forum works. Language such as "twaddle" or "ignorant" is totally unnecessary, and please note that I never used such language about yourself.

Can a mod please close this thread now, as I do not think we are actually helping the original poster any longer.

I think we'd better leave it here. As I understand the workings of this forum everyone is considered worthy to offer their opinion, even if someone else has already offered theirs, this is what a discussion forum is about. This should not be taken as offensive or disrespectful, it is how the forum works. Language such as "twaddle" or "ignorant" is totally unnecessary, and please note that I never used such language about yourself.

Can a mod please close this thread now, as I do not think we are actually helping the original poster any longer.
You still never answered my question. I believe you were being ignorant of others posts. I also do believe you wrote a load of twaddle about arguements - i am not arguing, just asking you for an answer to my question. I also think your advice was unfounded. You havent admitted this. Here is my question again. Can you please answer it?

WHY REBUKE MY INFORMATION TO OFFER YOURS INSTEAD? I AM ALWAYS WILLING TO BE TOLD I AM WRONG OR HAVE SOMEONE ADD TO MY CONTRIBUTION, BUT TO DISMISS IT WITHOUT KNOWING FULL FACTS? I FIND THIS INSULTING. :(

Your knife fish will grow huge fast! Seriously, it will be too big for the tank in about 5 weeks. Maybe less! And, if you are planning on getting a bigger tank for it, I wouldn't put small fish in it as these will be gone straight away. I would recomend takin the fish back. Angelfish and Discus as well, they prefer to live in shoals/schools.
I would go for something that would stay smaller like dwarf gourami's or maybe even a shoal of tiger barbs.
These add alot of character to the tank and grow to about 2.5/3 inches.

Once you'v returned your fish it would be a good idea to go through a fishless cycle.. then add whatever fish you want that will fit using the old inch per gallon guide (slimbodied fish only for this: ask if you want help).

All of the suggestions above are quite good.. Neons do prefer an established aquarium (I'v seen 6 months + reccomended, and as I'm reasonably new to keeping them I'll let someone with more experience help if thats an avenue you want to pursue).

Black widow tetras are great first fish: lots of character, nice and small, and very hardy: enough to survive cycling. I have cycled using guppies myself, but as I bought them from a private breeder rather than a commercial shop with inbred strains I wouldn't reccoment them unless you cycle fishlessly.. If you do decide to go with guppies, check out the livebearer section. There are alot of types.. a few begginers should avoid (delta tails, lyrestails etc) and a few that are great for begginners. Endlers are another option if you like livebearers.

If you like angelfish and discuss because of their agressive nature perhaps a single dwarf puffer would be a nice choice (assuming your willing to feed them with bloodworm/similar daily, and can keep up with water changes.

Anyways if I'v been of help: great; if not please post any questions and I;m sure you'll get a few replies quickly enough. Also if your going for guppies and want some that haven't been inbred I have the contact details of a few breeders that will ship for a reasonably low cost.

Most reactions

Back