Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• BBDDDEC4-3C9E-4C43-B119-C6D92E42F768.jpeg
    BBDDDEC4-3C9E-4C43-B119-C6D92E42F768.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 44
  • 6BBF3818-0586-44D0-9750-ED28272E4C4A.jpeg
    6BBF3818-0586-44D0-9750-ED28272E4C4A.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 44
Not an expert here, but it’s definitely a molly. Looks to be a hifin lyre tail / sword tail variant, very beautiful, I’ve never seen one like it.

Edit: Hoping to bump this so someone more knowledgeable can answer. I too am curious of what species this is.

Last edited:
I bought it about 1.5 years ago. I think it’s a male but I don’t know how to tell that either. The long fins and tail are what is throwing me off. I was thinking it was a Molly or a guppy but I am not sure. Thank you

I bought it about 1.5 years ago. I think it’s a male but I don’t know how to tell that either. The long fins and tail are what is throwing me off. I was thinking it was a Molly or a guppy but I am not sure. Thank you
Like I said I’m not an expert but I can tell you its a molly for sure. Even looking on google I can’t find any images of fish that look remotely similar to this. It’s very cool, I hope someone can be more specific so I can maybe get one myself!

It's not a molly, unfortunately. It's a mutated form of the swordtail, Xiphophorus helleri. That type was once known as the "Simpson High Fin". They are often infertile, and the mutation that causes the fin growth to grow out of control renders their gonopodiums (the male organ) unworkable. Every fin gets deformed. According to one of the old aquarium books I have here, that fish was a holy grail for fishkeepers in the 1960s.

It's not a molly, unfortunately. It's a mutated form of the swordtail, Xiphophorus helleri. That type was once known as the "Simpson High Fin". They are often infertile, and the mutation that causes the fin growth to grow out of control renders their gonopodiums (the male organ) unworkable. Every fin gets deformed. According to one of the old aquarium books I have here, that fish was a holy grail for fishkeepers in the 1960s.
That makes sense, i very often mistake swordtails for mollies 😂. But thats unfortunate about the breeding.

Most reactions

Back