Can someone help identify cause of bloated stomach on female betta?

@josh909 you forgot to say you house 3 females and 1 male Betta !! She can be gravid. Any bubblenest ?

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure you will not like to read the following, but... your tank is overcrowded, the Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) is not made for a community tank. It must live alone. One day or another you"ll put other fishes at risk of being attacked, harassed, even by a Betta that seems quiet.

Moreover, you mix soft-acidic fish with alkaline hardwater fish...

Fluval bug bites ☑️ ☑️
Hikari vibra bites :no:
Hikari micro pellets :no:
Tetra color plus flakes (bettas usually don't eat) :no:
Aqueon bottom feeder tablets. (bettas usually don't eat) ☑️☑️
The " :no: " are made with meals, in other words, animal by-products. You really should prefer food made with whole products.

@josh909 you forgot to say you house 3 females and 1 male Betta !! She can be gravid. Any bubblenest ?

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure you will not like to read the following, but... your tank is overcrowded, the Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) is not made for a community tank. It must live alone. One day or another you"ll put other fishes at risk of being attacked, harassed, even by a Betta that seems quiet.

Moreover, you mix soft-acidic fish with alkaline hardwater fish...

Fluval bug bites ☑️ ☑️
Hikari vibra bites :no:
Hikari micro pellets :no:
Tetra color plus flakes (bettas usually don't eat) :no:
Aqueon bottom feeder tablets. (bettas usually don't eat) ☑️☑️
The " :no: " are made with meals, in other words, animal by-products. You really should prefer food made with whole products.

Ugh. I will cut out the 'meal' based foods, thanks for that insight. You are truly an aquatic sage. 🙏

On the bubble nest, I haven't seen any in the community tank... Could my air stone and power filter be moving the top water and destroying them?

I have 3 other small tanks: (I have seen bubble nests in these male tanks)
5 gallon, 3 female bettas
3 gallon, single male
3 gallon, single male (2 corys)

I work from home so I keep a close eye on them, and I chose carefully and somewhat 'conditioned' the particular bettas I put into the community tank. I know that I probably will have to take them out, but they have been doing well together for the last 45 days or so. 😢

How do you feel about sororities or harems?

You are truly an aquatic sage. 🙏
Haha not at all but I learnt from my mistakes.

Could my air stone and power filter be moving the top water and destroying them?
Possible especially if you didn't add floating plants.

5 gallon, 3 female bettas
Sororities ? It can work but be carefull if once you must put one in hospital tank then reput it with the others, it will be considered an intruder and harassed even attacked.
Harem ? I know (in person) 4 breeders that strongly advise against.

3 gallon, single male ✅
3 gallon, single male ✅ 2 cories😒

Last edited:
I sometimes feed female many food , especially before breeding, and they look like fish in your photo.
I don't think it is a problem.

Lookat where kidney is placed. Seems improbable to me.

Oops, sorry. Look at.
View attachment 155577
Uhhhhhh I didn't say the kidney is bloated.
It isn't, but it is a build up of fluid in the body cause of organfailure (often the kidney)

Kidney and Spleen necrosis in DG's also causes bloat in the abdominal area.

Also in humans organfailure in most cases doesn't make the aerea of the specific organ bloat.

Last edited:
Uhhhhhh I didn't say the kidney is bloated.
It isn't, but it is a build up of fluid in the body cause of organfailure (often the kidney)
Kidney and Spleen necrosis in DG's also causes bloat in the abdominal area.
Also in humans organfailure in most cases doesn't make the aerea of the specific organ bloat.
I agree with you. For more clarity you could have said something like "effusion due to a possible kidney failure".

I agree with you. For more clarity you could have said something like "effusion due to a possible kidney failure".
I could have but I have never seen a fish with a bloated kidney to be honest. So I wouldn't expect anyone to assume I meand the kidney itself being bloated.

For now, we seek wide then we'll narrow the searchfield when getting information.

Most reactions

Back