Can Someone Explain In Basic Terms What A Plywood Tank Is?

Gazoo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've seen the term plywood tank but I don't understand what they are. Could someone explain what they are as well some of the concerns in keeping one?

Plywood is an artificial wood made by taking sheets of natural wood and putting each sheet at right angles to the grain of the previous sheet. The benefits of it are that it doesn't warp, shrink, split, comes in large sizes and is high in strength. The concerns are that marine plywood is very expensive so most people make a plywood box then line it with fibreglass or pond liner to make it waterproof and its flexible when in thinner sheets so needs external bracing to stop it bowing. Its usually used to make excessively large aquariums 500+ gallons as its very cost-effective to work with and you can add acrylic or glass viewing windows.

Mdf isn't as flexible as ply and snaps quite easily plus if the tank leaks at all the mdf will act like a sponge which would be a real mess.

I use pond armor personally, but you can use fiberglass and marine epoxy, or just pond liner if you don't have a viewing window

Plywood builds are usually used as a cheap alternative for large applications. For smaller sizes like the 24" you suggested earlier, it's not worth the materials.
My next plywood build will be 84" x 48"

Plywood builds are usually used as a cheap alternative for large applications. For smaller sizes like the 24" you suggested earlier, it's not worth the materials.
My next plywood build will be 84" x 48"

i might try using a plastic storage bin or small holding tank cut a hole for some plexi glass and job done

no sealing corners perfect for a quarintine/ breading tank :good:

i found a site yesterday doing 70" glass tanks for £89

are we alowed to post link on here?

Most reactions

Back