Can Single Snail Breed?

RobGoldsmith

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just bought some weed for my tank but it is covered in baby snails. If i kept one on the weed would it live in my tank ok without breeding? Or could the one snail breed or worst case somehow cross breed with my single apple snail?

PS - Will it eat my plants?

Thanks
Rob

It could breed singly, it might have already laid eggs/been gravid

Yeah 1 snail = 1000 snails unfortunately in most cases.

I received a 10 gallon tank from a friend who hadn't used it in months. The gravel left in it was barely moist, and I washed it before setting up the new tank. Wouldn't you know it, I have snails! I only saw a very, very tiny one at first, but this one grew and then there were 10. I moved the biggest ones into my 55 gallon and left the rest in my 10 gallon that's home to my female fiddler crab, 4 guppies and a Chinese algae eater. The crab has taken care of most of the smaller snails. I think she thinks I've given them to her as a treat! :p

snails are very annoying and will be every where
if their are loads get loaches

I received a 10 gallon tank from a friend who hadn't used it in months. The gravel left in it was barely moist, and I washed it before setting up the new tank. Wouldn't you know it, I have snails! I only saw a very, very tiny one at first, but this one grew and then there were 10. I moved the biggest ones into my 55 gallon and left the rest in my 10 gallon that's home to my female fiddler crab, 4 guppies and a Chinese algae eater. The crab has taken care of most of the smaller snails. I think she thinks I've given them to her as a treat! :p

mate there is an easy way to sort this out , get a clown loach

Really not the approach you should be taking to eliminate pest snails, not only may it interfere with your stocking plan but fighting a problem by potentially adding another problem it's great.

Snails can be eliminated by cleaning the tank thoroughly and reducing feeding amount over time snails will die off and you can hoover up their shells with a siphon.

Furthermore if you want to really take the approach for something to eat snails get assassin snails, they usually keep to themselves in the fact they just bury down and hide. They will over time consume all your pest snails and actually look pretty cool. Barely put out any bioload and won't restrict your stocking plans.

I am not entirely sure if snails can produce eggs solely by themselves however they are capable of storing fertilised eggs for a very long time. My friend has had an apple snail lay eggs 2 months after he got him on his own.

Edit:

My small 40litre tank which was only set up the other month was suffering a massive influx of snails probably from the Vallis. These snails multiplied and over a week there is probably around a hundred in the tank, in a 40l!! Since I barely fed my fish over this time (6 pygmy corys) they have pretty much mostly died off and been cleaned up.

mate there is an easy way to sort this out , get a clown loach

Clown loaches should be kept in groups of 5+ and get big. They are only really suitable for large species only tank or very large tanks with oscars or similar. If you insist on getting loaches to eat snails get zebra or yoyo loachs in a group of 4+.

Get a few assassin snails, they actualy look quite pretty & will chow down on any other snails in your tank.

Yeah i have a happy apple snail though so i dont want to put anything in that will get him, he is awesome! :) Thanks for the comments guys!

all u people who are putting down clown loaches obvuasly(sorry of the spelling)never had one u have just read about them in books. clown loaches are great cause they clean up excess food, if u choose carefuly they are really quite beautiful, my clown loach clean up my whole tank from snails in about a week and last of all u dont need to keep shoals (i only have one and he is doing great)plus they are quite cheap and make a good addiction to your tank, :hyper:

Most reactions

Back