Can Male Guppies Be Kept Together?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

firefighter1588

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just wondered wether male guppies can be kept together and wether they would start eating my neons?? :good:

if you want all males you should get at least 5, this helps spred the aggreseion betwwen themselves, they should be fine with your neons to.
what size tank do you have and are theer any other inhabitants?

hi thanks for quick reply, my tank is 3ft x 1ft x 1.5ft and as yet only has 10 neons and 2 plecs in, just wondering which fish to add next and i like male bettas but ive read that they are aggresive so im now looking at guppies, if i put female gupppies in aswell would that calm the males? thanks again :good:

If you add females you would want to keep at least 2-3 per male (but you can keep a single male with a harem); they are little sex fiends those gups. The problem with this solution is you will quickly get overrun with babies, which would then start mating among themselves at a few months old...... Another option is keeping females only, which tends to make for a quieter life, only there is no guarantee they won't come pregnant from the shop- female guppies can store sperm for multiple batches of fry. But if you get a fairly large group of males only you should be ok, as long as your water is not too soft and acid.

Yes my males have done well together, but I only have one left now.

I wish I had all males, and no females, because now I have to run the risk with fry every month, which I really dont want.

Males are so much more pretty.

yeah. i have two males and two females (got the second male last night, i wanted a female and...its a long story. i ment to get a female and he looked like a female at first glance.) so i'm going to get another female since there's really not room for two more females.

Should be fine. I have 9 males together in my tank and had no problems. :good:

I would be more concerned with the neons attacking you guppies because guppies tend to be too peacful and even normaly peaceful fish have been know to tear up their tails and attack them. as for the guppies they should be fine as long as you have no females then they have no reason to fight over them they may somtimes try to mate with each other though. and if you do get females keep twice as many as the male

I would be more concerned with the neons attacking you guppies because guppies tend to be too peacful and even normaly peaceful fish have been know to tear up their tails and attack them. as for the guppies they should be fine as long as you have no females then they have no reason to fight over them

Depends on the males IME. I have one male that cannot be kept with his brothers because they fight and they haven't been near a female since they reached a sexable age. Have kept neons with guppies with no problems, but that's not to say it will always work out. And finally, not all my guppies have been all that peaceful, I had one elderly female who was a right terror. Fish are individuals.

thats true you do get thoses bad seeds every so often and if you do the best thing is to seperate it from the others or put it down especialy if your breading it . but as a general rule of thumb guppies are not fighters and will most often become the prey rather then the predator.

Most reactions

Back