Can I Use Womens Tights?

kevlo

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, I hope you can help. I have 2 x fluval fx5 filters on my tanks and I have noticed that some of my smaller fish can get through the filter inlet (the thing that has a guard on it sucking the water out of the tank) I have had to fish two fish out of the filter. Is there anyway I can put tights over the inlet to stop the fish getting sucked through the holes?

If i cant use tights is there anything i can use?

thanks in advance for yoru help

kev

A piece of filter sponge with a hole poked in it slid over the intake works better. Tights or screening plug very quickly, and will allow smaller fry to be sucked flat to them, no different than being sucked in when it kills them.

thanks for the quick reply. how do you attach both the tights or the filter sponge.

i may use tights short term until i can find some filter sponge

Cut the bottom of the tights to fit the intake (2-3 inch i guess) you poke a cable through and tie around the intake body?

A piece of filter sponge with a hole poked in it slid over the intake works better. Tights or screening plug very quickly, and will allow smaller fry to be sucked flat to them, no different than being sucked in when it kills them.

plus 1 for this.

Tights get blocked fast. If you have live plants, then forget about it.

Block end bit of the intake and drill lots of tiny holes or cuts around it..

+1 for tights being useless, been there done that, had to take it off 24 hours later.

Filter sponge is your best bet. A few years ago I saw some manufactured types specifically for this purpose called "fry savers", but they were only filter sponges with a hole cut out for your filter inlet. This will reduce your flow rate a little though, but probably not enough to cause problems.

Most reactions

Back