Can I Squeeze A Few In?

Maxta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I heard Ottos are good for removing algae. I was in my LFS and they had some Otocinclus affinis, and said perfect for small tanks. I didnt buy any as i dont really know anything about them.

But im on the internet now, and found out they grow 6 cm or so and are good at removing algae.

I want some for my 21 gallon tank (in sig below). I know my tank is already overstocked but all my water stats are fine and i have media from established tank in my filter now. I do regular water changes due to my Pleco, so the tank is always well looked after and the fish have alot of space to swim around in. I know all the corys will grow big eventually but by then i should have a bigger tank.

So i was just wondering, could i squeeze a few Otto's in? If so how many is advised and do the produce alot of poop?

Thanks
:good:

I honestly think your tank isn't a problem so much as how much of a load it has and that the load is almost all on the bottom. You'd be good to change some things out for some fish that swim around the top portion.
Anyway, the otos are fairly fragile little fish. They don't produce much waste, but I think they'd probably get stressed in your tank. Could you maybe move a few cories to the other tank? That may help.
Hope this has helped some!

I could but i wouldnt want to, i love them too much.

Some of the Ottos were in a busy tank with other fish in the store, and some were just by themselves in another tank. Its only really my 4 albinos that are active and swim everywhere, the pandas and peppers stick to the sand etc.

I agree with fishwatcher; I wouldn't add the otos unless some cories go to another tank. I concure that otos are really sensitive/fragile. And if the the clown pleco isn't getting the algae then I would just manually clean the tank.

Most reactions

Back