Can I Put A Higher W In My T8 15W Light?

aly_starh

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Might sound really obvious if you can, but just need a clarification.

Tank is Juwel Rekord 600, and its the Monolux hood. The lighting in there is T8;- and in there is a 15W tube, can i put a higher wattage tube in there?

you can, but it may not light, and it will still give the same amount of light out. You could try a T6 tube, which will work in the T8 fitting and will give you more light due to less refraction.

you can, but it may not light, and it will still give the same amount of light out. You could try a T6 tube, which will work in the T8 fitting and will give you more light due to less refraction.

Yep, i tryed looking for some T6 tubes, but couldn't find any... :unsure:

have you got any links?

Each light fixture has a particular ballast that is only designed for a certain wattage. The T-6 that you found is another 15W tube but is a different diameter. In order to actually change the wattage of the tube, you would need to replace the ballast. You just need to keep the ballast and fluorescent tube matched in your fixture. If you increase the wattage a lot, you will also need to deal with increased heat build up inside the hood.

i need to buy new tubes for my aquaone t8 lights the t6 sound like a really good idea ,it mentions that for a jewel unit you need a brushings set any idea if i will need one for my lights i would have thought it would need something to take the space up with being a smaller tube.
also is it best to get one of the tubes for plants or does it not make that much of a difference.

Most reactions

Back