Can I Have Shrimp In The Tank While I Breed?

SeaGoddess

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Throughout the betta breeding process I was wondering if I could have shrimp and live plants in the tank?

Not a good idea. bettas should be the only fish in the tank when breeding. shrimp will get hurt and killed not worth it. 

Live plants would be ideal. However, I am curious as to what sort of breeding stock you'll be using if you breed? I noticed in one of your threads when you mentioned collecting somewhere between 5 and 7 new betta that they came from large chain stores which typically do not constitute good breeding stock. You also ought to reconsider due to the sheer number of containers you will need. Any female that you breed will need her own five gallon hospital tank. The males will need individual housing after the breeding as well. All of the fry will eventually need to be separated, too. There's a reason why only very experienced, professional betta keepers breed the fish. It is a lot of money down the drain, very little return unless you are selling absolutely drop-dead gorgeous fish (such as the ultra rare albino, or even the more common copper halfmoon), as well as plenty of time and space consumed. Unless you have the space for something like a betta barracks, several five gallon aquariums, a ten gallon aquarium, and perhaps a tank large enough to house your sorority (around 20 gallons), I really recommend that you reconsider this decision. However, should you decide not to heed my warning, then avoid shrimp, but do add some hardy live plants, as well as Indian Almond Leaves which help promote breeding, healing of any damaged scales, and provide an over-all healthier tank for the breeding or celibate betta.

trust me I know I have researched this for 2 years and I have already purchased some things

Like what? What is your plan? What have you gathered thus far? Perhaps you could do a bit of a journal. If you're serious about it, I'm sure many of our betta breeders here would be happy to give you assistance. One of the reasons I haven't bred betta fish is because of the sheer financial effort. It also takes far too many tanks than I'm willing to run. Got to have some space for the dogs and humans, you see. 

I'm not attacking you lol :). But here is my plan 2 ten gallons and lots of cups and plastic fish bowls and mason jars. In the beginning the male will have a ten and the female will have a ten. I will put the male and female in nice jars and let them see each other during feeding times for a certain ammount of time (I am not going to say the times because this is already going to take forever to type) then I will put them in a seperated tank to let the male smell the females pheromones. Then I will put them together in the males ten gallon and they will breed. Oops I forgot. They will have been on special diets. And the tanks will have almond leave (which I have already bought) and a heater and sponge filter. Then I will remove the female after the male has chased her away for the final time and put her in her ten gallon. Then the male will take care of them until they can swim and I will remove him. And then the fry will grow and I will place the males in nice big plastic fishbowls that I found for a dollar each. Then I give a few to my friends and family for free. And sell the majority to lfs, aquabid and ebay. And keep the best ones for breeding next time. 
                                                                                    ~Fin~
                                                            This has been a short betta breeding summary by Samantha.

oh and I will be buying them from aquabid or ebay.

"big plastic fishbowls for a dollar each" how big, I'm guessing they're not bigger than a gallon each...will you have enough heaters for your bettas, or does it stay in the 70s even at night? What type of filtration will you be using? You should make this into a journal, it'd be very interesting..as for almond leaves I'm not going to say they don't work (because I've never bred bettas) but from my experience and others almond leaves don't really achieve much other than perhaps softening the water, which I've found peat moss to be much more effective. That being said please don't buy peat moss, do research on it and you'll find how destructive business are...

So, you completely forgot to mention the bubble nest
"Chased her away for the final time" I think she'd be dead or have eaten alot of the fry by the last "chase "
She is to be removed asap after he's squeezed her (which you also didn't mention)

I personally believe at 13, you will unlikely be able to have enough time to sufficiently manage breeding. I'm 17, and although I have the knowledge, I still don't have the money or time.

I suggest you read this article thoroughly:

http://www.allaquariuminfo.com/2011/11/how-to-breed-bettas-siamese-fighting.html

And at 13 selling on eBay and such won't be allowed?

Noahsfish said:
as for almond leaves I'm not going to say they don't work (because I've never bred bettas) but from my experience and others almond leaves don't really achieve much other than perhaps softening the water, which I've found peat moss to be much more effective. That being said please don't buy peat moss, do research on it and you'll find how destructive business are...
The nutrients and tannins released from almond leaves mimic the bettas natural habitat and also have healing and antibacterial properties. A lot of people in Thailand use almond leaves to nurse bettas back to health after a fight so they do have their uses and are a more sustainable alternative to peat 

ReiRei said:
I personally believe at 13, you will unlikely be able to have enough time to sufficiently manage breeding. I'm 17, and although I have the knowledge, I still don't have the money or time.
To be fair i'd imagine a 13 year old has more free time than a 17 year old but yeah, money is going to be an issue with the amount of heaters, filters and other equipment that you will need.

Best of luck breeding your bettas but as said it is a very expensive and lengthy process and unless you produce a high quality batch, you may have trouble selling them. Then you've got 50 or so bettas with nowhere to put them... 
We don't mean to discourage your enthusiasm but successfully breeding bettas is very difficult.

I can sense a certain degree of frustration creeping into some of the responses to SeaGoddess' threads. I can understand that frustration, I must admit to feeling a certain degree of it myself. There haven't been any responses yet that I could class as "being rude to another member" (which is worthy of 2 warning points and 7 days Mod Preview), but some are becoming increasingly hostile.

Please remember that SeaGoddess is 13 years old, and has the exuberance and feeling of invincibility of a young teen. Try remembering what you were like at that age. If you have had your say, and it looks like it is being disregarded, then it is probably better to say nothing further.

the_lock_man said:
I can sense a certain degree of frustration creeping into some of the responses to SeaGoddess' threads. I can understand that frustration, I must admit to feeling a certain degree of it myself. There haven't been any responses yet that I could class as "being rude to another member" (which is worthy of 2 warning points and 7 days Mod Preview), but some are, as I say, showing signs of frustration.

However, please remember that SeaGoddess is 13 years old, and has the exuberance and feeling of invincibility of a young teen. Try remembering what you were like at that age. If you have had your say, and it looks like it is being disregarded, then it is probably better to say nothing further.
I was indoors, in the dark playing computer games. Sunlight and social interaction terrified me hahaha

the_lock_man said:
I can sense a certain degree of frustration creeping into some of the responses to SeaGoddess' threads. I can understand that frustration, I must admit to feeling a certain degree of it myself. There haven't been any responses yet that I could class as "being rude to another member" (which is worthy of 2 warning points and 7 days Mod Preview), but some are becoming increasingly hostile.

Please remember that SeaGoddess is 13 years old, and has the exuberance and feeling of invincibility of a young teen ( what a rude stereotype! Most teens spend their life in their room shutting out all other life forms :p ) . Try remembering what you were like at that age. If you have had your say, and it looks like it is being disregarded, then it is probably better to say nothing further.
If I was sea goddess I would be trying my hardest to get this done perfectly so I could go to all her doubters ' haha! You said I couldn't do it but I did, you're all stupid :p ' .
I would actually really like to see this happen. So sea goddess, do it right, gloat but don't put shrimp in while breeding! :D

TallTree01 said:
If I was sea goddess I would be trying my hardest to get this done perfectly so I could go to all her doubters ' haha! You said I couldn't do it but I did, you're all stupid
tongue2.gif
' .
I would actually really like to see this happen. So sea goddess, do it right, gloat but don't put shrimp in while breeding!
biggrin.png

There is no better feeling in the world than the one you get when saying "i told you so"
smile.png

Most reactions

Back