Can I Have Live Bearer Endlers And 1 Betta Together?

SeaGoddess

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to Have a betta in with a bunch of endlers Can I?

In terms of their compatibility, yes you can. But you have to have a tank large enough, and if I remember correctly, the biggest you have is a 5 gallon, am I right? Which isn't big enough for a betta and a "bunch" of endlers.

In a tank of at least 10 gallons, it might work.  Everything depends on the betta and if it will allow other fish to live in the same tank.  

Only asking here as am curious:
Don't people usually advise against bettas and guppys? Or are Endlers a completely different story ? :)

Mines was fine with my guppies as he came from a tank with guppies...until the tank lights were off, he's now in a tank by himself. No matter how docile the betta, in my experience, they don't get on with any other fish.  They are fine during the "honeymoon period" then once they settle, I find they start to attack everything. Like I say, that's just my experience, I have had 4 in the last 2 years, unless they were all highly strung. 

Ny82 said:
Mines was fine with my guppies as he came from a tank with guppies...until the tank lights were off, he's now in a tank by himself. No matter how docile the betta, in my experience, they don't get on with any other fish.  They are fine during the "honeymoon period" then once they settle, I find they start to attack everything. Like I say, that's just my experience, I have had 4 in the last 2 years, unless they were all highly strung. 

Haha, It is true it depends on the betta's personality. We've got one in with embers and danios and 1 BNP, works perfectly. However my devil of a crowntail beat up his friends D: and thus lives on his own

ReiRei said:

Haha, It is true it depends on the betta's personality. We've got one in with embers and danios and 1 BNP, works perfectly. However my devil of a crowntail beat up his friends D: and thus lives on his own

It really does. Like I say, i've yet to find one that gets on with everything, I had mines in my 95L tank with guppies and cherry barbs. He hated the barbs from the beginning and they kept their distance, he would be on one side of the tank swimming about the barbs would whizz by. Then after about a week, when I put the tank lights on I noticed my guppies tails with bits missing (I only have 2 males, 1 all black, the other yellow and red) I knew it was him, then I saw him go into attack mode. It's unfortunate really but I now, would never put one in a community tank, there's too much risk. 

I've had one of my bettas in with endlers/ guppies and it was a desater! My betta killed just about all of them, so I'm gunna say stay clear of mixing the two fish! If you really want to, then I advise buying a hatchery if you don't already have one. Put your betta in there, he'll let you know right away if its gunna work or not.

I have one betta who loves being with guppies. He never nips them and they don't nip him. He doesn't like any other sort of fish, just guppies. I've never had another betta that got along with guppies, and I've had quite a few.

In addition to all that's been mentioned above, in a community tank it is more difficult to control how much your Betta eats and he can easily over-feed. This then can cause other problems! I've lost a male Betta in a community tank because he got bloated due to constipation (at least that's what I suspect), twice in a short time. He then got dropsy and I ended up having to euthanize him! 

This just happened very recently and it was a horrible thing to experience! I will keep Bettas as one-fish only in a tank from now on!

I'd say its worth a try so long as you are able to rehome/send back the endlers in case there are problems.
It's impossible to give any sort of guarantee with aggressive and territorial fish such as bettas as they are completely unpredictable.
It may be fine for two weeks but then it may turn on them all of a sudden. On the flip side you may have a betta that is too docile, I've heard of bettas being attacked by NEONS!

I kept a betta and guppies for like 3months with no problems till I lost him to dropsy.

I would heavily plant/decorate the tank, just so the endlers aren't always in sight, but they should be fine. Nothing smaller than 15 gal or so.

Most reactions

Back