Can I Feed Her This?

fishing for info

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, just before i put it in, i just wanted to make sure that it's okay to feed budgies dried apricots? Thanks -fishingforinfo- x

yep

5) budgie care - what is the best budgie food ?
Budgie diet is extremely important and is the key to having a healthy budgie - along with exercise.

Give your bird a good-quality budgie seed mix. These are readily available at pet suppliers and supermarkets. Insure the mixes do not contain an abundance of hulled oats as these are fattening, and do not buy the seed in bulk - you are best to purchase small fresh packets.

Alternatively, you can offer your budgie a pelleted diet.

Your budgie's diet must be supplemented with fresh fruit and vegetables on a daily basis - refer to the fruit and vegetables question below.

Budgies enjoy spray millet and seed treats such as honey bells or sticks. However, these are fattening and should be offered occasionally as treats only. Pet budgies can become overweight very easily so I recommend offering spray millet once a week if your budgie is fairly active, or if not, only once a fortnight. Seed treats are best given at two monthly intervals.

Fresh drinking water is required daily. Also make available cuttlebone, and calcium, iodine and mineral blocks. Vitamin supplements in the drinking water once a week or fortnight are a good idea, although do not leave these in the water for long as bacteria grows very quickly. Some people prefer to sprinkle powdered vitamins onto the seed or moist food, eg apple pieces or spinach. Either way, be sure to follow the product's directions with regard to dosage amount and frequency.

6) budgie health - are fruit and vegetables necessary ?

A budgie diet must be supplemented with fresh fruit and vegetables on a daily basis. An all seed diet often results in an unhealthy or overweight budgie.

Try the following:

FRUIT: apple, grape, guava, kiwi fruit, mango, melon, nectarine, orange, peach, pear, pomegranate, plum, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon

VEGETABLES: bok choy, broccoli, carrot (chopped or grated), celery, chard, lettuce (but small amounts of lettuce and not too often as not a lot of goodness), peas, silverbeet, spinach, sweetcorn, watercress, zucchini

PLANTS:
chickweed, clover, dandelion.

Favorites with budgies tend to be apple, carrot, silverbeet, spinach, sweetcorn.

Note that the fruit and vegetables should be provided:

thoroughly washed
in small pieces
at room temperature
unpeeled
free of cores, stones, pits or pips
raw (some budgies prefer certain vegetables cooked eg peas and
sweetcorn - use your judgment here)
fresh (obviously this will be the most nutritious for your budgie but
you can use frozen or canned)

Be aware that your budgie's droppings may be runnier than usual with an intake of fruit and vegetables.
Some budgies will not take to fruit and vegetables straight away. Persevere as it can take up to a year before your budgie will eat them. Fruit and vegetables are an essential part of your budgie's diet so offer them washed and fresh each day - do not give up!

7) budgies care - what budgie food can I not feed ?

Never give your budgie alcohol, avocado or chocolate - these can kill your budgie.

Also avoid asparagus, aubergine or eggplant, cabbage, caffeine (tea and coffee), junk food, milk and cream, raw potato, and rhubarb (including the leaves).

Please just use your common sense when it comes to feeding your budgie. Many plants and food items are unsafe, so if you have any doubt, do not offer it to your budgie.

http://www.letstalkbirds.com/budgie.htm#four

Most reactions

Back