Can I Add Red Rainbows

swrzzzz

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 1 year old well cycled 200L tank with a good cannister filter and the following fish...

5 gold danios
5 smallish cory
4 diamond head neon tetras
2 gold gouramis
2 hillstream loach
1 dutch ram

I have always wanted rainbow fish (probably red) and a nice person has given me a gift voucher for Maidenhead aquatics :)

Searching around I have just seen someone saying that his rainbow fish ate his neons...so my questions are

Is this normal? - Will they eat my neons and bother the other fish?
How many can I add? I would like to add 5 or 6 if I can
Also - I am running at about 23/24 degrees. Is this warm enough for the rainbows and will turning up the temperature harm the others?

Thanks as always - Rainbow fish are not cheap and I don't want to do something I would end up regretting or harm my current fish

Steve

Hi

I have a 1 year old well cycled 200L tank with a good cannister filter and the following fish...

5 gold danios
5 smallish cory
4 diamond head neon tetras
2 gold gouramis
2 hillstream loach
1 dutch ram

I have always wanted rainbow fish (probably red) and a nice person has given me a gift voucher for Maidenhead aquatics :)

Searching around I have just seen someone saying that his rainbow fish ate his neons...so my questions are

Is this normal? - Will they eat my neons and bother the other fish?
How many can I add? I would like to add 5 or 6 if I can
Also - I am running at about 23/24 degrees. Is this warm enough for the rainbows and will turning up the temperature harm the others?

Thanks as always - Rainbow fish are not cheap and I don't want to do something I would end up regretting or harm my current fish

Steve
I have read that they can do but not always, should add about 5 or 6 and they need lots of swimming space, thats all i know im affraid and thats not from experience.there is however a website dedicated to these funky little fellas http://bowheads.org/forums/ i just looked it up because i saw no one replied to your post yet. good luck and let us know how you get on,

wat do u mean red rainbows?
can u give the proper name, then we canhelp more

G. Incisus or G. Pseudoincisus are both referred to as "Red Rainbowfish."

Ok I didnt realise this until I just did a bit of a google and I see what you mean....

The honest answer is I don't know and I dont know what the ones in my LFS are... but I would be intersted to hear your advice on which of the two would be most suitable for me given the fish I already have.

Thanks

Steve

The only problem that I see is the neon's as they are a bit small. Some people keep rummynose tetras and neons with their rainbows. IME they killed the smaller fish when I tried to add them to the tank.

Chances are the fish in your LFS are Glossolepis incisus, commonly referred to as the red rainbow or New Guinea rainbow. Glossolepis pseudoincisus are extremely rare in captivity, if they are even in captivity. They were described many years ago but never made it into the trade. It was assumed they were extinct until a few years ago a fish resembling it was found in New Guinea, but whether or not they have been bred commercially and become available in shops is still unknown, and unlikely.
If you get small rainbowfish and grow them up with the neons they will be less inclined to eating them. Also captive bred fish are less likely to eat neons, whereas wild caught fish will certainly have a go. Adult rainbows will have a go too, hence the reason to buy small fish.
Male G. incisus are red and females are bronze. They all start out silver but when they are a couple of inches long the males start to show some red in the fins and tail. The females will remain silver until they mature and turn bronze or a silvery bronze.
If you get some then try to get 3 or 4 females and a couple of males. They do best in groups but big males can be quite bossy and harass the females and smaller fish.
Rainbows need lots of vegetable matter in their diet so get some spirulina flake and feed them some fresh/ frozen (but defrosted) peas, corn, pumpkin, zucchini, etc on a daily basis.

Pseudoincisus are in fact in the hobby. I know someone who breeds and sells them in the US. Here is a link to his site proving that he has some for sale: [URL="http://www.thatfishshop.com/product505.html"]http://www.thatfishshop.com/product505.html[/URL]

But like Colin said they do need lots of veggies in their diet ~70%. They are omnivores however so don't forget their proteim. It's best to feed a mix of live frozen and a staple flake like spirulina.

they have some nice fish at that link, and it's good that Heiko did get G. pseudoincisus going in captivivty. I'm just disappointed I can't get any of those rainbows here, at least not easily and with good genetics. Stupid quamrantine laws we have here :(

Most reactions

Back