Can guppies and swordtails survive in 'blackwater' ?

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
. He told them that he was just curious what would happen if he turned it up.
Yea that is what my brother said when he fed them toothpaste....
-
sigh.
-
now that i am old and less wise never again will i buy farm bred fishes. First choice is wild caught. Of course that has its own problems...

My water is relatively soft. Livebearers do not thrive well for me unless I keep them in adjusted water. My kids endler tank has crushed coral substrate and I use Seachem Equilibrium.

So, you'd encounter more health issues and shorter lifespans by keeping them in even softer water.

My water is relatively soft. Livebearers do not thrive well for me unless I keep them in adjusted water. My kids endler tank has crushed coral substrate and I use Seachem Equilibrium.

So, you'd encounter more health issues and shorter lifespans by keeping them in even softer water.
Well i wouldn't have phrase it like you did; after all i have this 40b; it is being repurpose for a fish that requires blackwater and the question is would the guppies have much of a chance if i left them in. The suggestion is they would so i dind't make an attempt to remove them and the answer is they didn't. However (you said livebearers) but clearly the swordtails which fall under the category of livebearers do not appear to be suffering so you should be careful how you throw around the general terms livebearers.

If you reread post one provided here:

It clearly states i am only interested in in my guppies and swordtails and if they can handle the transition. At no point do i ask about livebearers generically or if there is some specific species i might want to find that will thrive in such condition.

Well, to put it back here, my water is softer than what swordtails specifically do better in.

A true blackwater tank, that you state you wanted to setup, is much, much lower GH than that.

Majority of livebearing fish that are available in the hobby come from areas either being brackish to very hard water. Softer water areas don't tend to have as many of the "livebearer" groups. Few, very few, exceptions. And in the hobby, the term livebearers is generally given to a group of fish such as guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails, endlers, mosquitofish, least killifish, limia, skiffia, etc. Halfbeaks are also livebearing fish, however aren't classed as "livebearers" when the term livebearer is used in the hobby. Halfbeaks, from Asia, are also another of those found in coastal mangrove swamps and also come from harder water. They are a livebearer, but they're not collectively referred to as a livebearer, if that's what you're trying to get at with me referring to swordtails and guppies as livebearers?

You asked about transitioning swordtails and guppies to true blackwater, which, true blackwater is acidic and low GH. Very low GH, often well below 120ppm. PH often below 7.

So, I'm the one being left confused here by what you are trying to get at?

Will swordtails and guppies do well in true blackwater? No, they will not thrive well lifelong due to the fact that true blackwater is low GH, low pH, and low TDS.

If you are simply staining the water without messing with your water parameters, then it's not 100% true blackwater in anything except aesthetics and this is a totally different question. However, someone had already asked about that and you had replied you were aiming for true blackwater. Hence leading to my current response.

I am lost as to what you are trying to get at here aside from what's been answered lol

You asked about transitioning swordtails and guppies to true blackwater, which, true blackwater is acidic and low GH. Very low GH, often well below 120ppm. PH often below 7.

So, I'm the one being left confused here by what you are trying to get at?

Will swordtails and guppies do well in true blackwater? No, they will not thrive well lifelong due to the fact that true blackwater is low GH, low pH, and low TDS.

If you are simply staining the water without messing with your water parameters, then it's not 100% true blackwater in anything except aesthetics and this is a totally different question. However, someone had already asked about that and you had replied you were aiming for true blackwater. Hence leading to my current response.

I am lost as to what you are trying to get at here aside from what's been answered lol
read the bloody thread. I posted a question; got an answer; transitioned the tank and gave the results. You jumped in at the very end AFTER the results were given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back