Can fish survive at ph of around 4?

When it comes to pH-meter it is better to focus on quality. Mine calculates pH, TDS, EC. I've had it for 11 years and never the slightest concern. It was worth €150 11 years ago.

Maybe... How much CO2 (bubbles per minute) do you inject ?
about 1 bps or 1 per 2s in a 30l . I've been running this for quite a while now almost a year. Never did bother test for ph cuz i dont see any problems with the fishes. Fishes that are in rn are 1 betta, 1 cherry barb, 2 danios. Only reason why i bought the ph pen cuz it was cheap and i was curious to see what my ph is. Probably the readings of my aquarium are wrong as i do not think these fish will even be able to survive here.

about 1 bps or 1 per 2s in a 30l . I've been running this for quite a while now almost a year. Never did bother test for ph cuz i dont see any problems with the fishes. Fishes that are in rn are 1 betta, 1 cherry barb, 2 danios. Only reason why i bought the ph pen cuz it was cheap and i was curious to see what my ph is. Probably the readings of my aquarium are wrong as i do not think these fish will even be able to survive here.
Too much to me.
You should reduce to 30 bubbles per minute even 20 bpm. Do it very progressively.

Reduce the CO2 and add some carbonate hardness buffer so the pH sits a bit higher.

While most blackwater fishes from the Amazon can live in water with a pH of 4.0, they don't normally live in it all year round. When the wet season starts and the rivers fill up and flood the banks, the pH sits between 6.0 & 7.0.

^ I agree with Colin. Reduce the amount of CO2 you are putting in there, and add in a little calcium carbonate, that should bring the pH up a little and give you some buffering capacity. There is a bunch of ways you can do that: immediate adjustment would be various powdered thing and pills (including tums, but for small tanks do not use a whole one!) and a slow release can be achieved by just putting in some shells or a few limestone rocks or whatever.

Certain fish can live at pH4, but you may be really pushing the limit of what is healthy so raising the pH at least a tad would probably be a good idea.

Most reactions

Back