Can Chromis Be Kept As Pairs

superman1

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello

can a pair of chromis be kept. ive read they should be kept as a group but would like a nice variety of fishes and not just a load of one species so can a pair of chromis be kept and would they be comfortable.

thanks

this is to go ina 4ft tank 200 litres.

i would keep a group...agression is then spread out within the group. Sometimes they can be nasty with one another. By keeping a group the strongest one will pick on more than one chromis. They also shoal quicte well and look stunning as a group. Quite easy to breed too.

are they... i was thinking of my future stock on my 4ft 220 litre and wanted

2 clowns
2 yellow tailed blue damsel
1 dawrf butterfly
1 cardinal
7 chromis

2 cleaners shrimps

and clean up crew does that sound ok. would the fish be suitable

do you mean dwarf angel?

if you do then i see nothing wrong with that stock list at all. 7 chromis would be very nice.
Damsels need a bit of a warning sticker though. They can be real agressive little things. If you are 100% sure you wont chose something else then these should be added last

I would forget about the yellow tailed blue damsels. I had a group of these which started off ok but soon got really aggressive. Also like chromis you would need a bigger group than just a pair as they do a lot of "in fighting" amongst themselves and if you have two the bigger one will just pick constantly on the smaller one.

I would forget about the yellow tailed blue damsels. I had a group of these which started off ok but soon got really aggressive. Also like chromis you would need a bigger group than just a pair as they do a lot of "in fighting" amongst themselves and if you have two the bigger one will just pick constantly on the smaller one.

yep agree with above but also having two different types of damsels, the clowns and the yellow tails is also probably asking for trouble :crazy: although might work in a large tank

Seffie x

:fish:

Ive got a pair of Green Chromis in my tank. :rolleyes:

One is quite abit bigger than the other and it does chase the smaller one abit, but thats where is stops with these 2. There is certainly no fin nipping or anything.

Ive also got an electric blue damsel, this can be abit aggressive towards some of the other fish.......but then he realises he's smaller than most of them !! :crazy:

One is quite abit bigger than the other and it does chase the smaller one abit, but thats where is stops with these 2. There is certainly no fin nipping or anything.

Ive also got an electric blue damsel, this can be abit aggressive towards some of the other fish.......but then he realises he's smaller than most of them !! :crazy:

no wonder the damsels are cheap because not many people want them.

Then you are the RARE exception. How long have you had them?

yup i am the same i did have 6 but they died over time and left with 2 and they dont bother with anything so it is just been luck i have had mine for 3 years now so they have been used to haveing each other there

regards scott

I also have a pair of small green chromis. They are similar in size but one is a tad bigger than the other. They occasionally argue but most of the bickering is done between the two chromis and my one devil damsel (who isn't as horrible as I have heard). My two chromis actually seem to be fond of each other and are together much of the time. Very friendly little fish in my 29 gal.

Most reactions

Back