Can anyone please identify

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bavette

Reaction score
I thought this was a park king gourami. But he’s not. Apisto? Or paradise? What is he. I’ve had him for over a year he’s a dwarf about size of small apisto. Anyone know what he is?

Attachments

• IMG_5537.jpeg
    IMG_5537.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 2,845
  • IMG_5534.jpeg
    IMG_5534.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 31
Definitely a peacock gudgeon.
20230216_092331_capture(0).jpg
20221101_094113_capture.jpg

Beautiful fish. I see you have some. Would he be better in a group or pair?
A group is usually best. Always keep the ratio of male to female 1m<2f.
Pairs do work, but you only have one and I wouldn't risk getting only one more.
What's your tank size? I would say to get about 3-4 more if you have a large enough tank

If you've had the fish a year or so, it will be mature enough to tell if it's male or female.
Look at the first of Rocky's photos, just one fish on its own. Look at the head - can you see the way his head is almost a corner shape? A female doesn't have that hump of a forehead, she has a gentle slope from the mouth backwards. In Rocky's second photo, the female is in front of the male, you can see the gentle slope of her head. And you can just make out the hump of the male's head, though most of him is hidden by the female.

The problem with buying more is that they are likely to be too young to tell which are males and females. Unless you have a large tank, two males is not good. But one male and a few females are fine.
If yours is male, buying more runs the risk of getting another male. If yours is female it won't matter if you get a male - but if you get 2 or more, they could turn out to be males.

Defiantly a peacock gudgeon. I would do a 1 male for every 3 females just to play it safe but 2 females per male would be fine to, like Rocky998 said. It all really depends on the size of the tank and what other fish are in the tank with him.

I still have these peacock gudgeons. I also used to breed them for a number of years. At the moment a group of 12 are now swimming in my community tank. Both sexes are present. Sometimes it may take a while before younger males will develop the huge head when there's a dominant male(s) around. But that won't stop them from trying to court with a female from what I've noticed. They're still one of my favorite gudgeons (gobies) there are.
IMG_9257.JPG

Oh really? Is that what I'm known as here? 😅
I guess I better update my title lol 😆

But if the OP has any questions, I'd gladly answer them! I do have quite a bit of experience with them now.
No. No. and No.

Now you've done it. Look at his head grow. It's getting bigger. And bigger. Yee Gods, it's gonna explode.

All hail Rocky, The Great Peacock Gudgeon Guru :)

Most reactions

Back