Can Anyone Help Me With This Pleco?

kym_sharpe_3

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey
just wondered if anybody can help me with what species this pleco is i think its a sailfin pleco but not 100% sure and if you know how much it can be sold for cheers :) :) :good:
fish099.jpg

Just looks like a common plecostomus to me. Hypostomus plecostomus. The sail like fin takes up a large portion of the body. You could get 5 dollars for him if my intuition is correct.

Cheers thanks for the help when his fin is out it comes out alot i will try and get a pic to post :)x
Also if other people want tohelp and make ideas what it is feel free :)

I can't see the photo for some reason. But I'd be STAGGERED if it really was Hypostomus plecostomus. That species hasn't been in the trade in the UK for, maybe 20 years? I know it is a name you'll see in every aquarium book (often alongside photos of totally different fish, such as Hypostomus punctatus). But it really isn't common in the UK trade, and not even that common in the US, either.

Almost all the "common plecs" sold in the UK are species of Glyptoperichthys/Liposarcus/Pterygoplichthys (depending on which name you use). Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus, and Pterygoplichthys pardalis seem to be the most common. The give-away clue is the dorsal fin. Hypostomus have 1 spine and 7 rays in the dorsal fin, whereas Pterygoplichthys have more rays, typically 10 or more.

Regardless, none of these fish has a high resale value. Far better to find a trusted aquarist you like who is keeping an aquarium containing large community species, and give him/her the fish. At least that way you know your catfish is going to a good home.

Cheers, Neale

Just looks like a common plecostomus to me. Hypostomus plecostomus. The sail like fin takes up a large portion of the body. You could get 5 dollars for him if my intuition is correct.

more drivel perhaps? :rolleyes:

I cant see the picture either :/

It is Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus, Pterygoplichthys pardalis, or something similar (there are a bunch of species all very similar and impossible for amateurs to identify to species level). The dorsal fin with 1 spine and 11 fin rays makes it completely clear that it is NOT an Hypostomus species.

Cheers, Neale

Most reactions

Back