Can Anyone Diagnose This On My Odessa Barb?

Neon99

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Just recently noticed that Odessa barb has a bloody tail, and the scales area starting to lift up.
It looks sore.

Could someone give me some advice please. Hope my picture works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 81
Hate to break it to you but I think its just growing up.. All of mine look like that now that they have become comfortable and mature. Their color will begin to change next. The red will creep from his tail all the way to his head up the middle of his body.. Oddessa barbs have very distinguished scales which make them look like they are "lifting up" but really its just color.

The above or ammonia poisoning (red streaks in fins) and dropsy (lifted scales)
rolleyes.gif

She's 3 and a half years old so I think she's grown up. I have a male and he is the one who has the red stripe through his body. I've had my water tested today and that was perfect so doubt its ammonia poisoning??

Could be dropsy. Would be gutted if it as she is the senior citizen of the tank!

More likely a bacterial infection under the scales to be honest...

Wow we got alot of different answers huh :p anyways can you give us your water conditions?

HHH said:
Wow we got alot of different answers huh
tongue2.gif
anyways can you give us your water conditions?

Neon99 said:
I've had my water tested today and that was perfect so doubt its ammonia poisoning??

I believe he did.. Anyways I honestly think that its just the color of my fish.. I'm not sure but all of my oddessa barbs, except one but that fish is a special case, look like their scales are raised and the tails are "bloody" Even the special case barb has that except not as distinct. Keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or the fish exhibits any other signs of illness 

Having had a closer look it looks like the male Odessa barb is biting at her tail!? Or just above it.

The reason I know my water is fine is because I had a gourami die, but it was dying in the bag after I'd got it from the pet store and when I went to return it I had to prove that my water was ok and they tested it for me.

I have some anti bacterial treatment and will use that to hopefully help clear it up.

Is this natural for the male to attack the female?

you might not have a good male to female ratio. I think its like 1 male to 3 females. How many oddessa barbs do you have? They should be in groups of 6 or more IMO. This helps spread out aggression. I know I am currently not following that rule but I had a few die off and my LFS burnt down and is still rebuilding so I guess I'm sort of a special case. But I do plan on getting more as soon as my LFS reopens

Ok thanks. I only have two and my tank is fully stocked! Never knew you needed that many for a peaceful community.

Thanks for the info.

oh yes, barbs are huge fin nippers which now I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier.. The more barbs there are the more fish that the barbs will harass which spreads out the aggression out. What size is your tank? What is the stocking of your tank as well? Hopefully we can resolve this

Only a 60l tank.
2 x Odessa Barb
2 x Albino Tiger Barb
1 x Dwarf Gourami
2 x Assorted Ram
1 x small Albino Shark
5 x Harlequin
4 x Neon tetra
1 x Panda Cory

Most reactions

Back