Can Anyone Correctly I.d. My Catfish?

doesnt look it a channel cat to me.

I would say it was possibly an albino Pimelodus species. maybe P. pictus or P. ornatus

Pimelodus Ornatus
119055308432163.jpg

Channel Catfish (albino)
planetcatfish image wasnt showing up so here is the link
Planetcatfish link

The unknown fish
2003125188901648733_fs.jpg

now differences between unknown fish and channel catfish:

Unknown Vs Channel
- snout is flat
- wrong number of barbels
- possibly wrong number of rays in the dorsal
- dorsal is set further back
- general body shape is different
- high arch in back before dorsal starts, Channel has a flat back

Unknown Vs Ornatus
- Anal fin is different shape, but very similar to other pimelodus species (P. pictus)
- same snout and head shape
- same barbels
- same body shape
- both have high arches in back before dorsal starts

The only thing that is against it being a pimelodus is the fact I have not seen an albino ornatus before

or having looked at the hemibagrus nemerus, it is possible that the initial id was correct
hemibagrus_nemurus_albino.jpg

What size is the fish?

:blush:

You know I didnt even see the suggestion on the original post.

having spent a few minutes looking at the resources on the net (I know, I'm meant to be working, but meh!) and I think it is hemibagrus nemurus, but I think you will agree there are a lot of similarities between it and Pimelodus Ornatus ;)

we could do with a good photo of the head to check the barbels if it has nasal barbels then hemibagrus nemurus is more than likely the species

isnt there like a cat fish expert thatll chime in? haha. im pretty positive its a h. numerus, but i just want to make sure its not the other one that looks like it. i think its called a wykisomethingorother....

multiple pictures from different angles will help a lot with the identification, try getting one from the front showing the barbles and one from the side with the anal fin clearly

I'm no expert, but when I first looked at that picture, I thought "hemibagrus."

Best person to ask is CFC, to be honest. :good:

If you could get a shot of its mouth from the side, that would clear this mess up. The albino channel catfish has a smaller more round mouth, while the hemibagrus has an extended bill. The pictures angle could be deceiving so to clear it up a side shot would be good.

Most reactions

Back