Can ancistrus live alone? Panda cories? :)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aqua.land

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm deciding what plecos/corys to get for my tank.
I have a few questions.

Can albino ancistrus live alone?
Can albino ancistrus live with 2 panda corys, and a butterfly pleco?

I know butterfly plecos need a slightly cooler aquarium, although I have read that if I keep the tank at 25 degreed c it will be okay.
Thank you :)

I'm not sure about the other fish but I do know that the Panda cories need to be kept in groups of 6 or more but preferably 8 or more. They also need sand in their tank since gravel will damage their barbels.

Thank you...I will probably not get them then. :)

What is your tank size? About the butterfly pleco, by which I am assuming you mean the hillstream loach, will be fine in slow water current and higher temperatures. They will thrive in temperatures of 80-85 F, although the lower the better.

I agree. Panda Cory’s need to be kept in a shoal of 6 or more. (Preferably 8+)

How big is your tank?

Hi.
My tank is definitely not being enough for a group of panda corys, so will not be getting them. My tank is only 9 gallon.
I’m probably still getting the platies and maybe the butterfly Plec.

The only problem is that my Internet Delta Tgerm Hester 100 watts.
It was in my tank for 3 days, but not on. This morning I turned it in, it works, but in a few minutes the on light goes of... Maybe the heater thinks it has already reached a desired temperature (25c) but that’s impossible as I have a thermometer on the other side of the tank, it read 22/23 c . As soon as I turn the heater up higher, eg 28 c, it works again....
Anyway sorry to put this problem in this thread, I should probably start a new one. :)

1591947476654.jpeg

That’s how it looks like....it was for sale at the aquatics store :)
Yes, I think it’s called the hill stream loach also or the Hong Kong Borneo Butterfly pleco.

Please don't use YouTube as a source of information, anyone can post a video on there whether they are experts or know nothing at all about the subject. Always look at reliable sites for research, sites such as Seriously Fish. If you look at the profiles of this type of fish on there, you will see that they do need cooler temperatures and fast flowing water.

Please don't use YouTube as a source of information, anyone can post a video on there whether they are experts or know nothing at all about the subject. Always look at reliable sites for research, sites such as Seriously Fish. If you look at the profiles of this type of fish on there, you will see that they do need cooler temperatures and fast flowing water.

Yes, thank you.
However, I spoke to many people, on this forum, not on this forum, and looked at reliable sources and have come to a conclusion that they can live in temperatures 25 degrees c, but yes, the flow needs to be different, so I may need to research more.
Thank you for the website recommendation. :)

There are two or three other threads on this same aquarium. Be careful that you don't get other members confused. With overlapping info, the more trouble other members will have keeping everything straight in order to give you good advice.

This tank is a 10g and that is insufficient space for platies; in one of the other threads you say you have now acquired four, they should go back as explained therein.

The Hillstream Loach species need strong flowing water and cooler temnperatures. A 10g would provide a nice aquascape for a group of four or five. If your filter will deliver a decent current. You could have it at room temperature. There are oother aspects with these fish though, but if you do want them this can work.

There are two or three other threads on this same aquarium. Be careful that you don't get other members confused. With overlapping info, the more trouble other members will have keeping everything straight in order to give you good advice.

This tank is a 10g and that is insufficient space for platies; in one of the other threads you say you have now acquired four, they should go back as explained therein.

The Hillstream Loach species need strong flowing water and cooler temnperatures. A 10g would provide a nice aquascape for a group of four or five. If your filter will deliver a decent current. You could have it at room temperature. There are oother aspects with these fish though, but if you do want them this can work.

Thanks.
Next time I’ll make one thread on the aquarium and the ask all my questions here.....even if they are all different things. :)

Most reactions

Back