can a reptile tank be used for fish?

bill

Reaction score
I was given a 20 gallon (12 x 12 x 30) reptile tank. Can it be used for fish? It looks like it could, but I would need to replace the screen lid with glass. What do you think?
thanks

This topic was done not so long back try a search, something to do with the urine of the reptile that can be poisonous to fish, you would have to give it a good clean with salt a few times then rinse for ages, then leave to dry out for a few days.

After a good cleaning it should be fine, you should be able to use it for fish, if after you set it up the fish dont survive a 20 gallon tank will run about about 20 bucks its nothing too expensive

I believe you're talking about tanks for reptiles, which cannot hold water all the way. They will break, I learned the hard way. It's best just to get a fish tank, they cost about the same.

Isaac

Reptile tanks are not suitable for fish. They're not waterproof and not as sturdy as fish tanks (the glass tends to be thinner and the sealing isn't waterproof).

Actually... My custom 17 gallon tank was a terrarium at one time. I got it for it's size and dimensions. Fish I don't know too well, but I did a lot of research on how to build tanks, because I had a really cool custom one in mind.

Here's what you do. Find out how thick the glass is on the tank and compare it to the thickness on a 20 gallon fish tank. I don't mean a rough estimate... I mean exact measurement. If it's the same, or thicker than the aquarium... You're in business.

Check the inside corners of the tank. It will either have a caulking bead of silicone (like you see on the joints of regular fish tanks) or it won't. If it does, you're good to go. If it doesn't, you will have to put it there. All you have to do is buy some aquarium grade silicone at your local hardware store and run a smooth, bubble-free bead of it along the inside corners of the tank. You should be able to find instructions for this online, or at a good hardware store. You have to let it cure for a week though, otherwise you're gambling with the lives of you fish. And you have to use aquarium silicone... anything else would be toxic to your fish... All in all it should cost you about $7.00 to do.

The hard part is putting a solid (Read: non-screen) hood and lighting on it... This will prevent evaporatin. If you custom make the hood out of clear Lucite it should cost you no more than $10. It's a bit of a project, but it's fun to try your hand at things you've never done before... Just take your time and be careful. As for cleaning the tank... If it has had any other animals in it, you should scrub the heck out of it... Just don't use cleanser, soap or bleach. This will be instant death to fish.

BTW: My tank has been holding water for 8 months with no leaks and no bowing of the glass... All because I chose the right one and took my time reinforcing it like a fish tank.

It depends on the tank. IF it is a fish tank used for a reptile, you can absolulutely use it after a single decent cleaning. Of course reptile urine and stuff is bad for fish - it would be bad for fish from any animal, including themselves!! My 25 gallon is an ex-reptile tank that was meant for fish in the first place - I gave it a good rinsing and it's worked perfectly ever since. So if it is actually a fish tank, go for it!

Most reactions

Back