Can A Rcs Live In A 1G?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WesleytheBetta

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1G Aqueon MiniBow that is cycled and I can plant using species from my planted 5G.  I tried a couple ghost shrimp before I realized how territorial they were.  Also tried a mystery snail before I moved it to the betta's tank and he killed it.  I would want a snail that is larger than the 'pest snails' to have more room anyway.  Could a single RCS live happily in this small of a tank given the water parameters catered to an invert?  If not I'm happy to leave it planted or put it in storage.  I need to wait before starting another new, larger tank so I'm just itching for something to work on. 
yes.gif

A few RCS should be ok in a 1 gal tank, though as long as there is a filter, simple air pump sponge is perfectly ok and is planted, should be ok afaik.

Yes, I don't see the problem either, as long as you're sure the tank is properly cycled, and that you can keep the parameters stable; shrimps, especially RCS, are more sensitive to traces of ammonia or nitrite and swings in pH and hardness than fish are.

Ch4rlie said:
A few RCS should be ok in a 1 gal tank, though as long as there is a filter, simple air pump sponge is perfectly ok and is planted, should be ok afaik.

A few would be even better, wasn't sure if their smaller size than the ghosties mattered
fluttermoth said:
Yes, I don't see the problem either, as long as you're sure the tank is properly cycled, and that you can keep the parameters stable; shrimps, especially RCS, are more sensitive to traces of ammonia or nitrite and swings in pH and hardness than fish are.
Tank has been going for 4-5 months w/o any spikes really. Hopefully I can check the ph of the water they're in wherever I get them

Most reactions

Back