Can A Heater Ever Be Too Big?

Reaction score
Hi,

I can't remember if a heater can ever be too big for a tank. I have an Elite that is 150 watts. The only spare I got and I need to keep a 10 gallon tank heated for a possible (depending on what the LFS has) new Discus tomorrow from Sunrise Tropicals!!!

No, a bigger heater just means that it is going to be able to heat the water quicker.

It should also have a thermostat that way if the tank gets to hot, the heater will shut off.

-FHM

Thanks, just wanted to check, because a 150 watt is rated for a 50 gallon which is quite a bit bigger. :p Just wanted to make sure, don't want any fried fish :p

Thanks, just wanted to check, because a 150 watt is rated for a 50 gallon which is quite a bit bigger. :p Just wanted to make sure, don't want any fried fish :p
:lol:

If you are worried about it, just keep an eye on the thermometer until you get things sorted out.

It will be fine though! :good:

Good luck on getting the Discus!

-FHM

If you are worried about it, just keep an eye on the thermometer until you get things sorted out.

-FHM

Yeah I will keep on eye on but I take your word on it, that it will be fine.

Hopefully a new Discus. It depends on what they have in, I am mostly looking for blue fish. I really want my big blue one I have now to pair up, but all the other fish in the tank are pigeon bloods and one leopard snakeskin, so not really compatible.

These fish aren't cheap either. Going to cost me 100-125 per 4 inch :crazy: I hope they have some smaller ones in :lol:

-FHM

Yeah I will keep on eye on but I take your word on it, that it will be fine.

Hopefully a new Discus. It depends on what they have in, I am mostly looking for blue fish. I really want my big blue one I have now to pair up, but all the other fish in the tank are pigeon bloods and one leopard snakeskin, so not really compatible.

These fish aren't cheap either. Going to cost me 100-125 per 4 inch :crazy: I hope they have some smaller ones in :lol:
Holy crap that is a little on the steep side!

Now I can see that you are a little picky about the water and everything!

-FHM

actaully im pretty sure a heater can be too big, i lost all my angels and other community fish not too long ago as i hada 300w heater in a 130L tank..the heater malfunctioned and boiled them, had lots of advice one here and was basically told if it had been a lower more suitable wattage ie150 then that amount of water woudnt have gotten so hot..and i will never go for that option again ,was really annoyed at myself.. i just thought well, if i can get a 300w for the same proce as a 150 then i may as well..... very bad idea :( ( my heater brand was elite by the way)

actaully im pretty sure a heater can be too big, i lost all my angels and other community fish not too long ago as i hada 300w heater in a 130L tank..the heater malfunctioned and boiled them, had lots of advice one here and was basically told if it had been a lower more suitable wattage ie150 then that amount of water woudnt have gotten so hot..and i will never go for that option again ,was really annoyed at myself.. i just thought well, if i can get a 300w for the same proce as a 150 then i may as well..... very bad idea :( ( my heater brand was elite by the way)

Dont feel bad about this, I had a 150 W in a 120litre tank. The thermostat went on the heater whilst I was at work and went to constantly on, water got to 56oC by the time I got home....... Lots of floating fish.

No, a bigger heater just means that it is going to be able to heat the water quicker.

It should also have a thermostat that way if the tank gets to hot, the heater will shut off.

-FHM

This isnt strictly true m8, for instance you have a 5g tank and put a 200 watt heater in.... yes it will rise temp quicker but the heater also has to cool down, as its cooling down it's still heating the tank, making it rise above the actuall required temp, meaning the fish are constantly in fluctuating water temps. Which is never good on a permanant basis.

I would make plans to buy a smaller heater for sure, if the heater malfunctions and stays in the on position, your water will get very warm, very quickly.

-FHM

This isnt strictly true m8, for instance you have a 5g tank and put a 200 watt heater in.... yes it will rise temp quicker but the heater also has to cool down, as its cooling down it's still heating the tank, making it rise above the actuall required temp, meaning the fish are constantly in fluctuating water temps. Which is never good on a permanant basis.

Correct :good: A larger heater will make the temperature bounce around more for the reasons Jen describes :nod: I've used 150W in a 10l tank outside (in the garage) before on a temporary basis in Winter, and it was needed to keep the temp up, but the temperature would have been all over the place if the tank was at room temperature...

Another thing to remember is that fish don't like quick changes in water parameters. A heater rated well above the capacity of the tank will heat the water far quicker than the correct rated heater. That is risking stressing the fish, which can lead to all sorts of problems.

Ok ok...lol. :lol:

I guess I learned something new. :lol:

It should be fine for the time being right?

I never took into account about the heater having to cool back down.

Thanks guys for not getting on my case too much about this...lol. :lol:

-FHM

Yes, they can.

A heater that is too large will cycle on and off more frequently especially with poor water flow around it. The relay (the internal switch) is typically the first part to fail, so you make it fail quicker.

Additionally, they almost always seem to fail "on." So when it does fail it will cause many more issues.

Now, with that said a slightly larger one isn't an issue, but a vastly oversized one is.

ive had the same elite heater and never had a problem with it myself but i know alot of people who have had probs with them, they are made by hagen too so should be fairly good quality anyway ive bought 2 new aqua one 300w and they are good i only need to use 1 on my tank when upto temp and then turn that 1 down to the 2nd lowest setting and it keeps the tank at perfect temp constantly the elite is now binned

Most reactions

Back