Calling All Uv Users

MadMan-JaMeS

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a UV unit for my tank in my sig.

But not sure if its worth it or not for a frshwater tank ?

what you think ?

and does anybody have some info about them like flow rates etc etc ?

Dont bother unless ur suffering from green water.
Yes it dose kill bacteria in the water but you dont need it.

I suffered from green water for ages so I just got a cheap powerhead/canister fishrfun uv off ebay. 35 pounds posted I think. No more green water.

I believe most of the uv filters actually go on to the hose of your external filter outside of the tank

Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a UV unit for my tank in my sig.

But not sure if its worth it or not for a frshwater tank ?

what you think ?

and does anybody have some info about them like flow rates etc etc ?

these are top bits of kit, IF you have something for them to do. but they not only kill bad bacteria, so some caution should be used.

To be honest, I love mine, and my fish seem to be more colorful since their addition. I am running them on two of my tanks now, and really have been pleased.

Don't forget to allow for the extra costs too, not only do you have to have them powered up all the time, the UV tubes themselves need replacing at least every 12 months to remain effective. :rolleyes:
If you are getting green water in your tank, I'd think you'd be better at looking for the cause, rather than a 'solution'.
The only place I've ever used a UV was in my pond filter, and that was purely because there's not a whole lot you can do to limit the amount of sunlight a hole in the garden gets exposed to :lol:

i have one on my discus set up and there a top bit of kit it has cleared my water and i havent had any bugs however they not a substitute for good water quality the water needs to go through at a reasonably slow pace or they wont be any use and they can make starting a filter a pain

Vecton V2 400 is a good one, depends on the flow from your fitler. Are u using a canister filter??

Most reactions

Back