C154 - A New One For Me

Coryologist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Greetings. Before turning off the lights last night I noticed that my tank of C154's were all being a bit rambunctious. When I turned on the lights this morning I found around 50 viable eggs in the java moss.

This is the first time I have spawned this fish, and although my count may be off 1 or 2 species, in either direction, I believe that is specie number 49 on my "cracked" list.

Since I have recently been bemoaning the dearth of egg-production in my fish room over the past few months, obviously I am quite pleased. My friend, Steve Keller was visiting from Maryland, yesterday and while complaining to him that my C. weitzmani had not spawned in over 2 months, we looked in their tank and found 25 viable eggs.

It appears that Steve brought some god karma along with him. Thanks, buddy. - Frank

P.S. Add 30 C. adolfoi eggs to that. :)

c_154_1a_lr.jpg

c_154_2a_lr.jpg

Congratulations on the spawn, Coryologist! Thanks for sharing this good news with us. As usual, your pictures are a treat. :D

congrats frank :good:
always nice to have put the time and effort into spawning some thing differnt for the first time
im really pleased for you mate :good:

regards dave

Hi Coryologist :)

How do you control the temperature of your tanks? That's a low temperature so I guess you must have them in a cool place that would require heaters in some of them. I have the opposite situation. My apartment is warm, so even the unheated tanks are warmer than I would like. I use heaters mostly in the summer when the air conditioning is running.

Hi Coryologist :)

How do you control the temperature of your tanks? That's a low temperature so I guess you must have them in a cool place that would require heaters in some of them. I have the opposite situation. My apartment is warm, so even the unheated tanks are warmer than I would like. I use heaters mostly in the summer when the air conditioning is running.

@ Inchy - Hi. My basement, if left unheated will go down to 55º. I have a small natural gas heater that I use to keep it around 70º during the day when I am working and I set it to go down to about 66 at night. I try not to use any heaters, but have them in my Discus, LF Calico plecs and Driftwood cat fry tanks. So at night, I get to save a few $$ on the gas bill and have enough of a temperature drop to naturally trigger any spawning, without me having to jump through hoops.

@ OldMan47 - TY. Much appreciated.

@ truckasauras123 - TY and TY. lol.

Frank

Greetings. It's been 9 days and the C154's are just starting to hatch. By tomorrow, I would imagine the hatching will be completed. That will make it 10 days, just as I thought. - Frank

I'm happy to see that they started hatching yesterday, Coryologist. Have they finished yet?

It would be wonderful to have a basement like you have! :D

I'm happy to see that they started hatching yesterday, Coryologist. Have they finished yet? It would be wonderful to have a basement like you have! :D
Hi. Not finished hatching, yet. It will probably take 3 or 4 days because of the temp. I did turn the heat up, so that should help.

The basement is nice. The mortgage payment is not so nice. Everything in life has its good and its bad. lol.

I'll keep you up to date. Thanks. - Frank

Very nice, good job! :good:

I've found from dealing with buddies who breed that the deeper the basement is below grade level the cooler it will get. One friend, who breeds corys BTW, has a more shallow basement, and it gets down to about 63F in the dead of winter. My basement is deeper, and will drop down to 56F if I shut the heat registers. He does the same cooler water deal for inducing spawning, with excellent results.

Most reactions

Back