Bye bye little tetra

Crystal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I have to euthanize my one little black phantom tetra. I have tried many different meds for him, but he seemed happier when I didn't medicate him and left him to hang out with his friends and swim and eat.
I know what some of you are thinking "Won't he infect my other fish?" well, he has been unwell for about 3 months now, and my other fish are still healthy. I look constantly for any signs from the other guys, and they are all well, so I figure if I was a sick fish I would rather be with my friends instead of ina little tank filled with meds.

My fish lived a very happy life, and he's been in my tank almost a year now, so I don't think he will be to upset to go to fishy heaven. I don't want the poor guy to suffer now, since I noticed last night he was getting worse, and stopped eating, and his gills are swollen and red. I don't want him to pass away after suffering, even though some of you may think he's been suffering a while now, he seemed very happy, and was eating, and swimming, and the lack of tail did not seem to affect him.

Anyways, before this gets too long, rest well my little fishy.

bless him, sorry for your loss, keep an eye on the other as red swollen gills can be gill parasites, or nitrite problems.

oh, I forgot to add that! I do my water testings quite often as well, and water levels are right where they should be. :)

*edited for my horrible spelling*

so it is only its tail that is wrong, nothing else? What other fish do you have?

an idea as to what could have caused it was the other tetras. They are nippy things, and he may have been low man on the totem poll.

it wasnt just his tail.
it started off with velvet, which I treated the whole tank for, after putting him in quarentine to treat.
All in all, he had signs of: fin rot, ulcer, he had a gill disease. those were the for sures.
None of my other fish are affected, so I am hoping to keep them that way.

Most reactions

Back