Buying fish tomorrow? Good idea?

DMan99

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A few days ago i posted on here about a suggested stocking list for a 30G tank. The tank has a fully cycled filter and up until earlier today was stocked with other fish, it is now empty and tomorrow i am going to the LFS, i phoned them today and enquired of the fish i decided on. They have them all in at the moment. Is it a good idea to buy them all tomorrow as the tank was fully until today. Or should i leave and still slowly do it even though it is cycled and use to dealing with many fish?

Is it a good idea or not?

I would restock it to (approx) it's previous stocking limit and then add any additional fish slowly (say one small fish per week or one medium fish every two weeks)

Yeah? Thanks.

I was thinkin it would be pointless to start of with 4 fish in a 30G if this morning there were loads in it especially when i have the opportunity to buy them tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dman99

nc_nutcase said:
I would restock it to (approx) it's previous stocking limit and then add any additional fish slowly (say one small fish per week or one medium fish every two weeks)
I second that thought :)

by the small ones first and then gradually stock up im going to the lfs tomorrow to get tetra pellets for my cories and to get filter pads and i might get a siamese algea eater because they are soo cute and im getting rid of my pleco because he will grow to big and i have only got a 20 gal not big enough for him im going to have to giv it to a petstore or my next door nabhour hes got a tank that fills his living room wall the lucky begger lol.

bloozoo2 said:
nc_nutcase said:
I'll third it!

you all add one small fish a week???

We add in groups - 6-8 fish at a time.

just keep an eye on the nitrite levels. I really dont think you'll have problems though.

If it was stocked - re stock asap or the bacteria will die off (no amonia to live on) and you'll have to re-cycle.

Fishist said:
Macracantha said:
bloozoo2 said:
nc_nutcase said:
I'll third it!
I'll forth it!!!!
Yeah an i will add an extra post to my count aswell!! :rolleyes:

steve

QUOTE (Fishist @ Apr 16 2005, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE (Macracantha @ Apr 15 2005, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (bloozoo2 @ Apr 15 2005, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (nc_nutcase @ Apr 15 2005, 10:02 PM)

I second that thought  

I'll third it! 

I'll forth it!!!! 

Yeah an i will add an extra post to my count aswell!! 

steve

Wow that looks so cool...I mean I fifth that! :S

Edit: Awww...I can't get it to do that! I feel so alone...*sniffle*

DMan99 said:
Yeah? Thanks.

I was thinkin it would be pointless to start of with 4 fish in a 30G if this morning there were loads in it especially when i have the opportunity to buy them tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dman99
That is correct. If you don't restock it to it's previous level as nc_nutcase suggested, you will lose a lot of your good bacteria as there won't be enough waste produced to feed it. Fill'er up!!!

MegTheFish said:
QUOTE (Fishist @ Apr 16 2005, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE (Macracantha @ Apr 15 2005, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (bloozoo2 @ Apr 15 2005, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (nc_nutcase @ Apr 15 2005, 10:02 PM)

I second that thought  

I'll third it! 

I'll forth it!!!! 

Yeah an i will add an extra post to my count aswell!! 

steve

Wow that looks so cool...I mean I fifth that! :S

Edit: Awww...I can't get it to do that! I feel so alone...*sniffle*
il sixth it :p

Thanks for everyones suggestions, as you know i went to the LFS and i bought:

6 x peppered corydoras at 1.99 each
2 x rams (gorgeous!) at 4.99 each
2 x angels 3.99 each
5 x glass cats at 1.99 each
1 x african butterflyfish at 5.99

It totalled 47pounds rounded up but i think it was well worth it!

Thanks everyone,
Dman99

Yeah i know that, but earlier on in the post i told everyone how the tank was fully stocked on friday morning yet empty friday night as i was restocking it. Therefore i had to stock it to previous stockin level as to not lose bacteria and cause it to recycle. So then buyin all those fish was a very good idea!

But thanks,
Dman99

Most reactions

Back