Buying fish online, good or bad idea?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of cycling my 38 gallon tank, so still a few more weeks before adding any fish. But I was wondering if anyone here had experience with purchasing fish online and having them shipped? Good or bad experience? Would you recommend it? I have only gotten fish in the past from my local shops so have no idea if it is riskier to do online or if there is any specific reason it is bad.

If you have done online, can you recommend some good online shops?

My reason for asking is that I really would like to get a super red BN pleco for my tank eventually and if my local shop can't order one, I am wondering if online is a realistic option.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am in the process of cycling my 38 gallon tank, so still a few more weeks before adding any fish. But I was wondering if anyone here had experience with purchasing fish online and having them shipped? Good or bad experience? Would you recommend it? I have only gotten fish in the past from my local shops so have no idea if it is riskier to do online or if there is any specific reason it is bad.

If you have done online, can you recommend some good online shops?

My reason for asking is that I really would like to get a super red BN pleco for my tank eventually and if my local shop can't order one, I am wondering if online is a realistic option.

Thanks!
I have purchased fish from liveaquaria.com and it was a great experience. They arrived the very next day, healthy and customer service was awesome. Good luck

Im in Canada, so i cant recommend the same sites...
But ive ordered fish online many, many times. All seasons too--hot and cold. Ive bought delicate species and ive even had delays due to a blizzard. Ive only ever had one fish arrive deceased, and the company i order from has a guarantee in place for those incidents.

Read reviews from the source you order from. That would be my advice.

Thanks! I think I might give it a try if my local shop doesn't have some of the species I want.

Besides liveaquaria, are there any other top recommended sites for deliveries in USA? Seems liveaquaria and the wet spot are two good ones.

Thanks!

I would check if your LFS will order fish for you, some will do it at their cost when they do their normal restock and it is cheaper than you ordering it yourself. I prefer to see the fish before I by it but I have had good luck buying plants on line. I now order though my LFS for plants because he can get them cheaper and does not charge me shipping.

Most reactions

Back