Buying Fish For A Newly-Cycled Tank Today!

DanVas

Reaction score
My 29 gallon tank just got cycled. I have three plants in there - one is pretty big, and the other two are pretty medium to small.

In a few hours, im heading out to Big Al's because they're having huge sales on their fish. I was planning to buy a school of tank-raised cardinal tetras of around 6 to 10, not sure how much. Also, I'm planning to buy maybe a few fancy male guppies, maybe 6 to 10. I will be buying one or two rock ornaments for hiding places.

My biggest problem here, is that I want to buy either one gourami (not sure which breed), one angelfish, or one male betta. I've read how all three can be pretty aggressive with the smaller fish such as the cardinals and the guppies. I want this fish to be the beauty of the tank. Which one should I buy?

Also, im trying to stick to the "rule" of 1 inch of fish per gallon.

Help? Anyone?

If you want guppies, you'd be better off not having gouramis or bettas; they're too similar and don't really mix.

An angel fish would eat the cardinals when it got big enough, plus your tanks a little on the small side, to be honest.

How about a dwarf cichlid of some kind? They're very attractive and characterful little fishes.

Hope this helps :)

If you want guppies, you'd be better off not having gouramis or bettas; they're too similar and don't really mix.

An angel fish would eat the cardinals when it got big enough, plus your tanks a little on the small side, to be honest.

How about a dwarf cichlid of some kind? They're very attractive and characterful little fishes.

If the angels are brought up with the neons/cardinals (angels are introduced after and are too small to eat them) then they will grow up seeing them as 'cousins' rather than food.

I've heard many people say this and I have found it to be so myself. I've even added tiny cardinals since that my Angels could probably eat and they haven't been bothered with.

I've had no trouble with my large angels and neons in the same tank. Angels don't even bother with them. I've also had guppies in there with no problems.

Enjoy your new fish!

My angels are very predatory and have even chased after smallers corydoras. Not saying it's not possible just saying angels can be quite aggresive. Although i know people who keep angels with small fish and have no issues.

Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid - Male (Full Red)

apistogrammacacatuoides.jpg

Oh, now isn't he handsome!

I've had no trouble with my large angels and neons in the same tank. Angels don't even bother with them. I've also had guppies in there with no problems.

Enjoy your new fish!

Same for me!
I have a very large angel, She has lived with many a small fish, even endler guppies which are proper small, still have 2, they do keep out the way, but i'm sure she could take them out if she really wanted to.
Fry doesn't survive though, There gone in a flash if she see's them

Lovin those Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid! Very nice fish, Not seem them before
:D

Most reactions

Back