Buying Fish By Mail

lola

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought fish by mail? I really want to get a dwarf puffer and can't find them anywhere. Livearquaria.com has them. Anyone have experiences with this site or other fish by mail?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Iola,

I've asked this question on the forum before and many experienced members responded that its quite common and usually works quite well. I'm sure others may be along to answer about this dealer specifically. I've never done it myself but am hoping to, just like you.

~~waterdrop~~

online ordering is fine from most large shops. i'm not specifically sure about the one you mention.
the main thing to consider is postage cost, which usually makes it cheap to go to your local shop - especially for one fish.

Perhaps a little off topic but I seen my dwarf puffers today and they look GREAT! Apparently not very good fish for beginners like me and maybe some time down the line...

Liveaquaria/Dr. Foster & Smith is considered one of the best in the US. The main drawback is the cost of shipping.

Liveaquaria/Dr. Foster & Smith is considered one of the best in the US. The main drawback is the cost of shipping.

Thanks for the info. I know shipping is expensive, but I've been to or called 20 local shops and no one has them. I wonder why? I'm still trying to see if someone local can special order and if that would be a better deal. . . Anyway, it'll be a while because I'll have to get another small tank and cycle it before I could get a puffer - wouldn't want him to eat my neons! Good to know liveaquaria is a viable option though.

Thanks for the info. I know shipping is expensive, but I've been to or called 20 local shops and no one has them. I wonder why? I'm still trying to see if someone local can special order and if that would be a better deal. . . Anyway, it'll be a while because I'll have to get another small tank and cycle it before I could get a puffer - wouldn't want him to eat my neons! Good to know liveaquaria is a viable option though.

Not knowing where you live you might want to investigate a few of the closest major cities. Even if you spend the same amount of money in gas as you would shipping, I would feel better about driving 100 miles to find the right fish, see it before I buy it, and have it in my tank in a matter of a few hours.

I have driven 4+ hours one way to get the fish I wanted - and they have all survived.

I have also done mail order, and find that the smallest fish and/or juvenile fish do best. I have ordered mostly baby angelfish.

Not knowing where you live you might want to investigate a few of the closest major cities. Even if you spend the same amount of money in gas as you would shipping, I would feel better about driving 100 miles to find the right fish, see it before I buy it, and have it in my tank in a matter of a few hours.

I have driven 4+ hours one way to get the fish I wanted - and they have all survived.

I have also done mail order, and find that the smallest fish and/or juvenile fish do best. I have ordered mostly baby angelfish.

That's looking like the way to go. I lloked at liveaquaria and they have a minimum order amount as well, so a single fish from them is a no go. I'm in the chicago suburbs so I'm sure if I called some shops in the city I might find one.

Drs.foster and smith liveaquaria.com is a good site for ordering fish and supplies. I have bought most of my fish supplies them and may even buy some fish. Their shipping is not that bad, as I have paid nearly $100 on one box fish before. Fish stores will add on shipping charges and then increase the price of the fish anyways, so you usually just about break even if you have a large order of 4-5 fish.

Most reactions

Back