Bully blue ram - fighting?

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

parfoo

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 90L with 2 blue rams and 5 bentos white tetras. Water is quality is good. No issues. However I have what it seems a bully ram. The bigger one will often try and chase the other ram whenever it sees it. It has led to the other one starting to stick up for itself and they can come face to face and can eventually lead the smaller one to back the other one off. I find that the smaller blue one stays between the plants and is given a hard time. I tried to catch on video but couldn’t. Is this something that needs to be addressed or is this normal behaviour?

Attachments

• IMG_8116.mov
    27.7 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7788.jpeg
    IMG_7788.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 11
It's normal behaviour. Odds are you have two males. The usual suggestion is to remove one - hard if you only have one tank. But left in there, the second male will die. They are territorial animals, and there isn't enough space for them to share.

It's normal behaviour. Odds are you have two males. The usual suggestion is to remove one - hard if you only have one tank. But left in there, the second male will die. They are territorial animals, and there isn't enough space for them to share.
Thought that might be the case! Going to take the one bully back to fish store to avoid getting to that stage

Post another picture of the blue ram?
It appears to have a bend in the spine and doesn't look like a good quality fish. You might be better off taking that one back if it's a dud (deformed).

Post another picture of the blue ram?
It appears to have a bend in the spine and doesn't look like a good quality fish. You might be better off taking that one back if it's a dud (deformed).
Took the other one back today. When I went to my local fish store they said the one took back (bigger one) was a female and likely trying to lay eggs which was why being aggressive as the blue one smaller. Since the bigger female has gone back the little blue guy is swimming a lot more free now!

Most reactions

Back