Bullied Guppy!

SquishyFishy

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP ASAP
I got 2 new guppies along with some other non-agressive fish, and one of my angels (i have 2) has completely destroyed just one particular guppy. I turned out the light, everyone was happy healthy, come out of the bathroom 10 minutes later and the angel was eating my guppy! He's pretty banged up, fins practically non-existant. He's in my "infirmary tank," 2 gallon tank. i had to stop the filtration because he couldn't swim, but I know he needs filtration within 10 hours. He will probably die overnight, but I'm praying for a miracle.
So here's the other problem: I'm worried the angel will start going at my other 2 guppies, and I only have that one other tank, which is too small for him. I don't think he'll go after any other fish but the guppies because the others I think are big enough to handle themselves. I overfed the tank just a bit ago in hoped he wont eat the others over night, but I don't underfeed my fish, and he normally has a good temperment.
Please help asap.

- - - - - - - -

I just put my other guppies in the infirmary tank with him- i was so nervous with the angel because I could see him begin to go after the others. Plus maybe the company will help my guppy perk up... I really love my fish in case you haven't noticed.
Also, I realize this doesn't fit under "hybrid fish." I'm still trying to work this site... thanks

Poor little guy! I think you will have to make a decision as to whether you re-home either the guppys or the angels or find a bigger tank for one of those groups.

As for your injured guppy, the best thing you can do is provide squeaky clean water (with frequent water changes). Also, you need your filter on at all times, try and keep it on a low setting if you can. If not then try and block the flow a little so it's not too much for your fish. And watch out for bacterial infections associated with an injury.

Good luck to your guppy and keep us updated about his progress ;).

I'd agree with KCB; very clean water and ultimately separating the angels and guppies are your only real options. Once bigger fish get a tatse for smaller ones, it's a very hard habit to break them of.

Best of luck; I hope he pulls through; fish are very tough, so you never know.

P.S; I've moved your thread to the 'Livebearers' section for you :good:

I've not had angels, but from my understanding they aren't usually great community fish for this very reason.

Thanks for your help! He survived the night, hopefully his fins will be able to repair themselves!

Angel fish are cichlids, which are known to be territorial and aggressive at times, which is probably why it attacked your new guppy

Thanks for your help! He survived the night, hopefully his fins will be able to repair themselves!

That is great news. Sorry for your unfortunate situation. We keep Guppies as well and I just wanted to let you know something you may not already know. Guppies need to be in groups, but they are not schooling fish. We keep a tank of Guppies and Mollies. There are always tails that are beat up (normally female) due to their own aggressive behavior towards one another. I have also noticed in all our tanks, that when a fish is really injured or sick that the other fish seem to sense it and start picking at it. I am not sure if they do this as it is easy pickings, because they feel killing the sick or injured fish prevents the illness from spreading, if they do it out of a sort of mercy, or some other reason all together. You may want to keep the injured one alone till it heals enough to defend itself from the other guppies too. If you have a bucket or storage bin you can use for a tank and a way to heat it that may be best.

I am not doing this to scare you, only because you expressed such deep concern and I wanted to be sure you knew all the hazards. Best wishes for you and your fishy friends.

That is great news. Sorry for your unfortunate situation. We keep Guppies as well and I just wanted to let you know something you may not already know. Guppies need to be in groups, but they are not schooling fish. We keep a tank of Guppies and Mollies. There are always tails that are beat up (normally female) due to their own aggressive behavior towards one another. I have also noticed in all our tanks, that when a fish is really injured or sick that the other fish seem to sense it and start picking at it. I am not sure if they do this as it is easy pickings, because they feel killing the sick or injured fish prevents the illness from spreading, if they do it out of a sort of mercy, or some other reason all together. You may want to keep the injured one alone till it heals enough to defend itself from the other guppies too. If you have a bucket or storage bin you can use for a tank and a way to heat it that may be best.

I am not doing this to scare you, only because you expressed such deep concern and I wanted to be sure you knew all the hazards. Best wishes for you and your fishy friends.

Guppies don't particularly need to be in groups. A single male will be fine or a single female will be fine. Same as you can have a pair of males or a pair of females happily living. They are not a *Need to be in groups* fish, they tend to like the company because if it's males it gives them someone to show off to and if it's females it's sort of like a birthing partner for when they are pregnant but they are just as happy alone
smile.png

Angelfish are part of the semi-aggressive tropical community. Guppies won't be able to live with them.

Guppies don't particularly need to be in groups. A single male will be fine or a single female will be fine. Same as you can have a pair of males or a pair of females happily living. They are not a *Need to be in groups* fish, they tend to like the company because if it's males it gives them someone to show off to and if it's females it's sort of like a birthing partner for when they are pregnant but they are just as happy alone
smile.png
Ok, good to know, thanks. I have always been told what I stated there, but I do see a lot of single ones out there too. Thanks for clarifying.

smile.png
Ok, good to know, thanks. I have always been told what I stated there, but I do see a lot of single ones out there too. Thanks for clarifying.

No problem :)

Another thing you can do to speed the healing process of his fins is to add in some aquarium salt. The instructions should be on the container. Salt is also really great for getting rid of ich without using anything artificial, if the need for a cure ever comes up.

I have only ever had one instance of guppies picking on each other (as in biting enough to cause damage), and that was when I had a tank disaster and was forced to rescue the only two healthy females and move them into my all male tank.... the males did end up taking a chunk out of one of the girl's tails. I continue to keep female guppies only because of their robust and good nature. I've never had them cause injury to each other. ... males neither but they were persistently chasing each other.

I have only ever had one instance of guppies picking on each other (as in biting enough to cause damage), and that was when I had a tank disaster and was forced to rescue the only two healthy females and move them into my all male tank.... the males did end up taking a chunk out of one of the girl's tails. I continue to keep female guppies only because of their robust and good nature. I've never had them cause injury to each other. ... males neither but they were persistently chasing each other.
It is typical for the males to beat up the females a bit. We have males and females in a tank. They seem to leave each other alone but one male. He kinda looks females as he is rather dull for a male lol

Most reactions

Back