building my own

the caretaker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going to build my own tank over the next couple of weeks 5ft x 2ft x 18" I know a bloke in the glass trade and he's cutting me the glass and filing the edges for me @ a cost of £60 thats brilliant and i'm really looking forward to doing it . when it's complete i'll take some pictures and post them here ;)

It certainly helps to know a man who knows a man... :D

You got it worked out how you're going to build it?

www :)

Jolly well ...

Please let us know how it turns out ... I was thinking of that myself ... but it might be best to let you try it out first :D

Good Luck !!

Good Day ...

I have given it a bit of thought but its going to be a giant jigsaw that has to be put together in the right order and how would I hold it together when i have applied the mastic? I will have to rig something up! any advice would be good. :cool:

Never built one before but repaired a 5'

The bracing/struts at the top (palstic bars to tie the back and front together snapped :eek: ) - and the front glass started bowing out allarmingly. Immeadiately removed about 100l to reduce pressure and went down lfs. Very helpfull and oredered me some new bars and lent me acouple of sash clamps to pull the top together. Think i had them about 3 weeks in total and usefull for when glueing in the new bars....

Point of the storey is that sash clamps may be usefull and think about how to brace the top ;)

www :)

I can get sash clamps from where i work, but I would imagine that you would not clamp as tight as possible because you would squeeze out all the mastic? theres a lot to think about :/

Most reactions

Back