"Building" an aquarium

O

On_a_dishy

I understand the mechanical/biological/chemical filtration process and the cycling process, but I've never "built" a set-up from scratch; I've always relied on the Fluval built-in system, or the external canister that came with my larger aquarium.
If I wanted to embark on a set-up myself, without a big old cabinet and external filter (arthritis), how would I use something like this:
What would need to attach to it as an intake, and poke out of it as the outlet? (Basically, where are all the tubes?!)

The slits all round the lowest basket are the intake and the outlet comes as shown in the image with the option of a mini spray bar or venturi attachments. it doesn't need tubes as it's an internal filter.

I really don't know this type of filter at all but the line, "for mechanical-biological pre-filtration", in the description makes me wonder if it is meant to be a stand-alone filter. :dunno:

I understand the mechanical/biological/chemical filtration process and the cycling process, but I've never "built" a set-up from scratch; I've always relied on the Fluval built-in system, or the external canister that came with my larger aquarium.
If I wanted to embark on a set-up myself, without a big old cabinet and external filter (arthritis), how would I use something like this:
What would need to attach to it as an intake, and poke out of it as the outlet? (Basically, where are all the tubes?!)
hello, i have a similar filter to this one and it is very versatile and mods are very easily applied.
just put it inside the tank. only downside is it is hard to clean with floaters

hello, i have a similar filter to this one and it is very versatile and mods are very easily applied.
just put it inside the tank. only downside is it is hard to clean with floate
just put it inside the tank. only downside is it is hard to clean with floaters
Thanks for the reassurance - what are “floaters”?

This all sounds really promising. So: tank, light, heater, and this Eheim Biopower (with all the cycled media) = aquarium!
Ya, kind of sort of but not totally accurate. Even using established filter media you should let the tank steep for a couple of weeks to allow the tank to settle in. Then you should do water tests to know levels of PH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. PH is important here as it has a large impact as to what fish to add when the tank has proven to be cycled. This is important as to what fish to add. If your water PH is low indicating soft water you would not want to keep African Rift Lake Cichlids as they require hard water but South American Cichlids would be fine. I'm just using the different cichlids as an example but you need to allow the tank to settle to a consistent level to see what the water parameters settle to. Once the tank is established you then get fish to fit the water. Don't try to change the water to fit the fish you want. Get fish that fit the water.

I have found internal power filters not very useful. They're sold as "pre-filters' because they lack the space inside for proper biological filtration. They are often used as mechanical filters, to catch the more solid waste to keep it from clogging the main filter. They need cleaning a lot but the extend the time between cleaning for larger more cumbersome bio filters.

I'm curious about your not wanting to use a hang on the back. I find them so much easier to work with and clean than internal or canister set ups. I imagine that would matter a lot with arthritis. I've had some long epic battles with canisters, but HOB filters (hand on the back) have always been very easy to keep running well.

Agree with HOBs being easier. If you are looking for value for money for internals consider the Aquels which charterhouse also sell. Personally I am not that fussed about bio-efficiency as I use a good balance of plants for the heavy lifting. In all my tanks the filters exist only to move the water around and act as mechanical filters. Depending on what you plan to keep simple sponge filters could be more than adequate, and they are a doddle to clean.

A minor off topic here - I have never seen the phrase "a doddle" before. I had to look it up - as a British and Canadian vocabulary difference. Here, doddle as a verb is used to say someone is walking aimlessly, maybe with early dementia or no purpose. I love picking these little differences up - we have a rich language.

Okay, back to thread. I'll stop doddling around and respect that getting sidetracked is a doddle.

I have found internal power filters not very useful. They're sold as "pre-filters' because they lack the space inside for proper biological filtration. They are often used as mechanical filters, to catch the more solid waste to keep it from clogging the main filter. They need cleaning a lot but the extend the time between cleaning for larger more cumbersome bio filters.

I'm curious about your not wanting to use a hang on the back. I find them so much easier to work with and clean than internal or canister set ups. I imagine that would matter a lot with arthritis. I've had some long epic battles with canisters, but HOB filters (hand on the back) have always been very easy to keep running well.
That’s very interesting - they sound perfect. Which hang-on-the-back ones would you recommend?

Nice
Agree with HOBs being easier. If you are looking for value for money for internals consider the Aquels which charterhouse also sell. Personally I am not that fussed about bio-efficiency as I use a good balance of plants for the heavy lifting. In all my tanks the filters exist only to move the water around and act as mechanical filters. Depending on what you plan to keep simple sponge filters could be more than adequate, and they are a doddle to clean- I’ll look up Aquel
Agree with HOBs being easier. If you are looking for value for money for internals consider the Aquels which charterhouse also sell. Personally I am not that fussed about bio-efficiency as I use a good balance of plants for the heavy lifting. In all my tanks the filters exist only to move the water around and act as mechanical filters. Depending on what you plan to keep simple sponge filters could be more than adequate, and they are a doddle to clean.
I’ll look up Aquels - thank you for the recommendation!

@On_a_dishy What type of tank are you looking at? For example there is no way I could use a HOB filter as I have glass Euro bracers on 4 sides of my tank with two small square holes at the back for cables etc to go through. Or perhaps a section of the lid would need cutting out.
HOBS have never been as popular in the UK as they are in Canada/USA. It's only the last few years that I've actually seen any in 'real' shops and the ones I've seen have been mainly cartridge-only types. That doesn't mean there aren't better ones, just that I've not been in a shop that sells them.

I have an Aquael Pat Mini filter in my shrimp tank. That is basically a sponge with a pump attached. It works well in a small tank like my shrimp tank.

I have an Eheim Biopower filter in my main tank, is a an internal filter which has more media space than most internals.
Like seangee I use plants for the main biofiltration and the filter is mainly for mechanical filtration which is why mine has only sponge media rather than the Substrat Pro sintered glass media it comes with.

I do work with Fluval on a freelance basis, so I should disclose that. I have nothing to do with their product lines - I'm on the fish info/videos for the website side. But I like their HOBs. I also have some excellent, no name Chinese ones. The key is to be able to dispense with the cartridges and replace them with wide pored sponge. I have never met an HOB you couldn't modify to be more efficient.
The cartridges were invented because the filters were too good. You bought them, you squeezed out the sponges and you were good for 10 years plus. I had an Aquaclear that ran 24/7 for 17 years. With cartridges, you have to rebuy and rebuy., so they are good for revenue streams. It's good old intentionally wasteful capitalism at work.
Just beware as the one 'ultra-slim' models sold have limited space for bio-media, and that kind of defeats the purpose.
You also have to monitor HObs and rinse the sponges regularly as clogging pushes water over the top.

Most reactions

Back