Building a 10 gallon - I need your help!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place but I could find another place where this would fit in.

I'm building a 10g in a couple weeks and BOY am I excited. I've really only built nano tank (3-5 gallons), so this is my biggest tank yet. I'm planning on doing a fish in cycle, I was thinking of doing it like this but please correct anything if you see anything wrong
1. Setup tank and put fish in
2. Shortly after put BB in. (Going to buy BB in a bottle but which brand do you like? Maybe the API quick start?)
3. Test everyday for 7-10 days and and do water changes if needed.
Do you think that sounds good?

I have 6 neons temporarily in a 5g and I'm going to move them to the 10 gallon (The dimensions are 20x10x12 in case anyone was wondering), and after a lot of your guy's suggestions I'm just going to add them in with no other fish, but after a little while could I add a couple more neon tetras?

I'm going to have double filtration just to make sure everything stays pristine and do weekly water changes.

Now, I know what filter, light, heater, etc. to get for my 5 gallon and under tanks and they work like a charm, but now that it's a bigger tank I'm pretty much clueless. Do you know any filters (Preferably HOB filter), heaters (to be at 75-78 degrees), and a plant light for my 10g?

Also I'm aiming to lower my Ph for the tetras, so will fluval stratum be good and provide enough nutrients along with liquid fertilizer? I think I heard somewhere that it could leach a little ammonia, but can that be solved with water changes according to the ammonia levels? I don't think I'm experienced enough to start with actual aquasoil so I think fluval stratum is a safe start. And will a 8.8 pound bag be enough? I'm trying not to spend a fortune and I think the stratum might be the most expensive thing soooo

Oh yea, I'm doing a heavily planted jungle tank inspired by MD Fish Tanks aquariums.

So sorry for the long post, but I have so many questions! Any advice or help is appreciated.

Last edited:
You should cycle your tank before adding fish. Read the cycling guide linked below

if you already have an established tank, take half the filter media and put it in the new tank and no need to cycle it

If you do want to use bottled bacteria in addition to mature media, look for Dr Tim's One & Only or Tetra Safe Start as those two contain the correct species of nitrite 'eaters'.

Ok, I will use some of my my mature bacteria in addition to one of the bottled bacteria Essjay suggested, then I will probably let it run for a few days and test if everyday.
Do you have any filters, heaters, and/or lights you would recommend?
Thank you so much for all the help!

I wouldn't recommend a fish in cycle. Here's what I do when I need a quarantine tank. I have a spare sponge filter running in one of my tanks so that's already cycled. I use that in the new tank. I also add fast growing floating plants (salvinia minima and anacharis) and some liquid fertilizer. That's usually works for me.

Thank you, does this plan sound ok?
I have 3 very mature tanks (two 3g, one 5g), and the filters are filled with sponge with BB in that, I will use half of each filter sponge and put it in the 10g filter, along with the bottled beneficial bacteria. I'm sure I also have extra plants that have BB on them so I can put a few in just for a little extra boost. I will let it run for about a week and make sure the water parameters are safe and stable (I'll let it run for however long it takes for the parameters to be consistently safe). I'll also add some liquid fertilizer and fast growing floater plants, like sharkweek said.
Could I add fluval stratum for extra nutrients for the plants or will that cause ammonia?

I would not recommend trying an in fish cycle, it can go wrong very easily and i can say that with personal experience. The last thing you want is a tank filled with dead fish. Take a look at the article fish manic recommended, i hope all goes well!

Thank you, I won't do a fish-in cycle then. Do you have any filters and heater you use for a 10 gallon? Thank you all the help, I know I tend to double-ask

Thank you, does this plan sound ok?
I have 3 very mature tanks (two 3g, one 5g), and the filters are filled with sponge with BB in that, I will use half of each filter sponge and put it in the 10g filter, along with the bottled beneficial bacteria. I'm sure I also have extra plants that have BB on them so I can put a few in just for a little extra boost. I will let it run for about a week and make sure the water parameters are safe and stable (I'll let it run for however long it takes for the parameters to be consistently safe). I'll also add some liquid fertilizer and fast growing floater plants, like sharkweek said.
Could I add fluval stratum for extra nutrients for the plants or will that cause ammonia?
The floating plants will need the most nutrients. Since they aren't touching the substrate, that means liquid fertilizer. One thing about the plants is you have to make sure that they're growing before adding fish.
Every tank needs some kind of surface agitation to oxygenate the water. But too much surface agitation and the floating plants won't grow. Thing about 10 gallon is that they're isn't that much surface area. A larger tank has plenty of room for both. So you'll need to find the right balance between enough surface agitation so your fish can have oxygen but not too much that your floating plants don't grow.

Edit: I don't mean to make floating plants sound difficult. They're really quite easy and well worth the numerous benefits.

Thank you, I won't do a fish-in cycle then. Do you have any filters and heater you use for a 10 gallon? Thank you all the help, I know I tend to double-ask
I would recommend this heater:

https://www.petbarn.com.au/aqua-one...lL90N7igEMhN3RxCqDQB310tpcuVD6xQaArgnEALw_wcB

As for filters, i would highly recommend a sponge filter. They work well and they are easy to maintain.

This sponge filter is nice

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B06Y5Z6V8Z?psc=1&th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=mfaus-22

Please note you need an air pump in order for the sponge filter to function. Good luck!

I'm commenting on a few thing in your initial post that haven't been discussed yet.

I'm going to have double filtration just to make sure everything stays pristine and do weekly water changes.
Filtration with small fish and plants is almost not needed, but I always had a single sponge filter and the water was crystal clear. My primary reason for a filter is water clarity, by removing the microscopic particulate matter. Biological filtration is not needed with plants, and should not be encouraged. Obviously the sponge filter will perform biological filtration, but you do not want to increase it. The plants will be the losers. A sponge filter will also have minimal water movement, which will be ideal for the type of fish (nano). weekly water changes of half the tank volume or more, good.

I have 6 neons temporarily in a 5g and I'm going to move them to the 10 gallon (The dimensions are 20x10x12 in case anyone was wondering), and after a lot of your guy's suggestions I'm just going to add them in with no other fish, but after a little while could I add a couple more neon tetras?

Yes, you can have more neons, and some other fish. Stocking is not a matter of number of fish to tank size. You must have what the fish require to keep them less stressed which in turn means less problems including the biological system. However, this can backfire if not done correctly. I would increase the neons to 9. But first, how long have the six been in the other tank together? I'll explain the issue here when I know. Other fish, certainly. Small fish, like Ember Tetras or dwarf rasboras. If you have sand, pygmy cories will provide some activity all over the tank but also on the substrate. Which brings me to the following.

Also I'm aiming to lower my Ph for the tetras, so will fluval stratum be good and provide enough nutrients along with liquid fertilizer? I think I heard somewhere that it could leach a little ammonia, but can that be solved with water changes according to the ammonia levels? I don't think I'm experienced enough to start with actual aquasoil so I think fluval stratum is a safe start. And will a 8.8 pound bag be enough? I'm trying not to spend a fortune and I think the stratum might be the most expensive thing soooo

How are you going to lower pH? The pH is connected to the GH and KH of the water, so you need to know these values. For the tap water, if you're on municipal water check their website.

As for the substrate, I would not use any of the so-called plant substrates. They can mess with the water parameters, release ammonia as you said, which can be fatal for fish especially in this small a tank. They also have bacterial issues which can damage substrate fish, like the cories. Plants will grow well in soft sand; this is harmless to the type of fish here, and the plants. Liquid fertilizer probably, and root tabs if you have plants that can benefit. Quality play sand is an excellent substrate. I don't knw where you are...in North America you can use Quikrete Play Sand, available at Home Depot and Lowe's. If you're in the UK, there is Argos Play Sand (think I got that name right).

Thank you.
I have had the neons since February I think, and I got them when I didn't know much about fishkeeping and just thought they were small so they would be good for the 5 gallon I have them in right now. I've noticed that in the past week or 2 they have been hiding more (it's a densely planted tank) and not being as active, which is why I want to move them into the 10g since I think they are stressed by the small size.

I'm going to add a lot of wood to the tank and I think that It'll help my Ph. It's at 7.3 right now. My water website doesn't state the KH of my water but the GH is around 6.

I'm in the US so I will look for that sand. I already have liquid fert so I will use that along with root tabs I will probably buy. Do you like aquarium co-op root tabs? They are available at my LFS.

Also, you mentioned other small fish, and I am interested in embers for the tank since I think a little variation would be neat to look at but if it means the fish are stressed then I won't do it.

I will look into pygmy cories for my tank! How many should I get? Also, will they eat possible baby shrimp? I want to get some assorted cherry/blue dream shrimp in hopes that they will breed.

Thank you so much for all the help.

I would recommend this heater:

https://www.petbarn.com.au/aqua-one...lL90N7igEMhN3RxCqDQB310tpcuVD6xQaArgnEALw_wcB

As for filters, i would highly recommend a sponge filter. They work well and they are easy to maintain.

This sponge filter is nice

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B06Y5Z6V8Z?psc=1&th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=mfaus-22

Please note you need an air pump in order for the sponge filter to function. Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely look into those!

Most reactions

Back