Bubbles Keep Popping...

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My male looks like he's trying to blow a bubble nest. I've put half a cup in the tank and taped it to the side. Every bubble he blows out is popping. Is there any reason for this? The tank has an almond leaf, and a sponge filter, a little salt, and a drop of malefix. I haven't gotten a valve to control the air flow yet, but the tube coming off the sponge is higher than the water level, so the bubbling out of it doesn't effect the water surface.

Any reasons for this, or do you think he just has to learn how to do it the right way?

He also seems to be breathing fast...

I do. It doesn't cover it completely. It has small holes punched out for tubing, and the filter that was in the tank...but it's covered for the most part. There are some small bubbles under the leaf, but I can't tell if they're just air bubbles that were stuck there from when I put it in the tank, or if he's blowing those.

I thought it a bit soon to put the two together, but she looks like she's going to burst, and he's very feisty, so I'm giving it a shot.

Pictures:
Female in her chimney
fish344.jpg

fish342.jpg

Male with a bubblenest start? He has some fin damage, but is still quite perky and flaring
fish331.jpg

Set up
fish328.jpg

fish329.jpg

It looks plenty humid in there with all the condensation so the air should be pretty darn close to the water temp. They're both gorgeous btw. They'll make a great spawn, be sure to send me a couple. :hey:

I switched the cup to a flat piece of styrofoam, and he's blowing a nest! Yay!!! :)

It's still modest right now...
fish347.jpg

I hope this is successful! These guys are my two favorites!
fish348.jpg

I switched the cup to a flat piece of styrofoam, and he's blowing a nest! Yay!!! :)

Thats what i did, mine would not do a good one under the cup, but flat piece he did....

ps, you dont actually need the pump on yet do ya? i didnt turn mine on until the fry was free swimming and just did daily changes with a air tube.

ps 2 lol, you just gave me a idea on where to put my next spawining tank lol.

Thats what i did, mine would not do a good one under the cup, but flat piece he did....

ps, you dont actually need the pump on yet do ya? i didnt turn mine on until the fry was free swimming and just did daily changes with a air tube.

Hah...yes...it's in my wardrobe. I cleared off a shelf. That way I can shut the doors and keep it private, warm, and humid for them. :)

I don't see any reason to need to lower the air flow of the pump as it's on full blast right now and isn't disturbing the water surface at all since the bubbles go up the tube. Is there another reason that I'm not getting as to why it should be lowered?

Hah...yes...it's in my wardrobe. I cleared off a shelf. That way I can shut the doors and keep it private, warm, and humid for them. :)

I don't see any reason to need to lower the air flow of the pump as it's on full blast right now and isn't disturbing the water surface at all since the bubbles go up the tube. Is there another reason that I'm not getting as to why it should be lowered?

I think its mainly so the nest doesnt get disturbed but like you say, if its not bothering the surface then leave it, i only said about not having it on cos when reading the breeding betta guide, t said it was only needed once the fry was free swimming....

:) really hope it goes well for ya - had my fingers crossed for ya so long now i got cramp lol..

fingers.jpg

good luck on the spawning :good:

pretty funny how you put the tank inside with your wardrobe :lol:

I'm just so proud of the little guy, I can't stop watching him! I don't know if he's going to be able to blow a big one right now, but at least he can blow one. I'll see what it looks like in the morning and decide whether to carry on, or condition them longer. :)

Video of Alpha building his bubblenest

Ooops...try this one. :)

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/con...sbubblenest.flv

oooo they are going to get it on lol, all looks great so far yay

Your bettas are gorgeous :)

She's a feisty one, lol. :lol: They'll definitely make some great looking babies. Be sure to send me a couple. :nod:

Well, Alpha let his nest go. There were only a couple bubbles this afternoon when I checked, so I've moved him back to his tank to be conditioned, and left the female in the tank to condition her further. I have spring break after this next week...hopefully they'll be ready by then!

I think they are teasing you....it could be the filter putting them off....just an idea :good:

Most reactions

Back